Match Report: Cove Rangers 2-0 Falkirk

Falkirk’s lead at the top of League 1 was reduced to just goal difference as a 2-0 win for Cove Rangers brought the Aberdeen side level on points with the Bairns.

Saturday, 17th April 2021, 2:47 pm
Mitchel Megginson's overhead kick gave Cove an early lead

In a disappointing afternoon at the Balmoral Stadium a double from striker Mitch Megginson was enough to secure the three points for the hosts with both goals coming from set pieces.

They took the lead on 11 minutes when Fraser Fyvie’s corner was knocked on at the near post by Ryan Strachan and found Megginsion in the middle of the box who hit an overhead kick in off the underside of the crossbar.

That early goal threw the Bairns’ games plan right out the window and the rest of the first half was a slog with Rangers dealing with their threats, at times with ease.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Conor Sammon hit the bar with a header early in the second half before Cove made it 2-0 just minutes later

From another corner on 25 minutes Scott Ross headed at goal but Aidan Keena was back to clear off the line and prevent Falkirk going 2-0 down.

Mutch made a decent save from a Connor Smith effort and Cove keeper Stuart McKenzie was first tested when Callumn Morrison stung his palms with an effort on 37 minutes before the break.

Falkirk needed to show something different in the second half and came out all guns blazing as Conor Sammon rattled the cross bar with a header after getting on the end of Morrison’s cross.

However, Cove went up the pitch and won a free kick and, once again, Fyvie’s delivery was knocked on and Megginson inexplicably had yards of space inside the middle of the area for an easy finish past Mutch from close range.

The Bairns tried their best to shake things up but the best chances still kept falling to the hosts with Mutch being forced in to making a great diving save to deny Smith from distance.

Falkirk were on top at points in the second half, which became a feisty affair with a number of yellow cards on both sides, but failed to ever really test McKenzie in the home goal.

Tuesday night’s match at Peterhead now turns in to a game that they will have to win, otherwise could find themselves surrendering top spot.