Sunnysiders win at home

19/08/2011'Falkirk RFC. Official opening of the pitches'falkirk rfc v melrose rfc
19/08/2011'Falkirk RFC. Official opening of the pitches'falkirk rfc v melrose rfc

Falkirk survived a second half revival to record their first league win since the opening of their brand new pitches, against Hillhead/Jordanhill at Cala Park last Saturday afternoon

Stand-off Jonny Hope converted a second minute penalty, before the home side added their first touchdown only three minutes afterwards.

Sterling lead-up work by the forwards near the top right hand corner of the pitch saw clean possession being won, and spun wide, for Bob Wyllie to pass to the intruding full-back Stuart McAllister who raced over near the posts.

Keeping up their momentum, two minutes before the end of the first quarter, number eight Jeff Lepa controlled a loose ball well with his feet from Hills’ ten metre line, before the Sunnysiders were awarded a five-metre scrum from which newly-arrived Kiwi hooker Bruce Simpson crashed over from a ruck.

Giving their Glasgow opponents no time at all to settle, and several switches of direction ended with left-winger Chris Harris squeezing in at the opposite side of the pitch for Falkirk’s third try in the 26th minute.

Controversy followed when Jonny Hope’s conversion attempt seemed to bisect the uprights, but the touch judges kept their flags down.

That dampened the home side’s concentration and Hills’ Ally Wright broke clear away from just outside Falkirk’s 22-metre line for a try, which Gus Twaddle converted two minutes later.

Not long afterwards Hills’ Will Goulden was yellow-carded for handling in a ruck and presently the Sunnysiders took full advantage of the numbers game.

Breaking into Hills’ last quarter of the field slick handling enabled Chris Harris to take a neat scissors pass from Jonny Hope and cruise through round the posts for his brace.

Hope added three out of four first-half conversions for a half-time score of Falkirk 29 Hillhead/Jordanhill 7.

Commencing the second period with a great deal of purpose Hills’ number eight Donald Pitkethly picked up the ball from a scrum and charged over for a try, which Gus Twaddle converted within four minutes of the restart.

Twenty minutes afterwards, Twaddle again bit into Falkirk’s points advantage when he converted a penalty as the visitors continued their fight back.

With the home side’s nerves now jangling further pressure by Hills’ pack saw prop-forward Goulden break through for an unconverted try in the 76th minute.

However Falkirk did not lose their composure and countered positively when Hills lost control of the ball from a line-out near their line and Finn Russell scythed his way over for a very welcome try indeed,which Hope duly converted.

Nevertheless Hills kept fighting and were rewarded when scrum-half Haddon MacPherson dived over for a try in the corner for a late score that couldn’t affect the game’s outcome.