Sibbald sends Bairns a semi final date in Ramsdens Cup

Bairns fans will hope teen sensation Craig Sibbald is back in the line-up for the cup clash
Bairns fans will hope teen sensation Craig Sibbald is back in the line-up for the cup clash
Share this article

FALKIRK progressed to the semi-finals of the Ramsdens Challenge Cup with a Craig Sibbald inspired 4-1 win over East Fife. The 16-year-old scored a wonder-goal to cap a man of the match performance helped by goals from Kallum Higginbotham and Mark Millar.

But it could all have been different as Ryan Wallace gave the Fifers a first half lead.

Falkirk started comfortbaly but shut-off on 21 minutes and a tight one-touch passage allowed the visitors to threaten and Ryan Wallace’s cross was inches away from being turned in by Craig Johnstone, but Kieran Duffie was ushering the ball out. The threat was exposed by Ryan Wallace who curled a great 25-yard strike into the top corner, after Falkirk’s defence stood off.

Falkirk pressed for an equaliser, but when Weatherston rounded the keeper his square to Higginbotham was poorly connected, and moments later Sibbald shot off the outside of the post.

The equaliser came on 41 minutes, when Kieran Duffie relesed Jay Fultn down the right. The 17-year-old isn’t blessed with blistering pace but timed his move well, hitting the by-line and crossing to Kallum Higginbotham. The Englishman should have scored with a header that was straight at thekeeper, but the rebound fell to Mark Millar who powered into the net to send the teams in level.

Duffie earned a freekick on the edge of the box which was almost a penalty when he ran 40 yards at goal. Millar stood over the ball, but Higginbotham whipped it low and in off the post.

Falkirk were ahad and extended their lead through Craig Sibbald. The youngster took possession ten yards inside the attacking half, then put his head down and ran, he should have sent a ball left to Murdoch, and was told so, but his option was better.

He jinkd through three challenges and laced a bll into Weatherston’s run, the striker took a touch, tripped over the ball to hold up the pacy move. He laid wide to Sibbad who couldn’t see the goal for the referee, but slipped as he shot high into the net from 20 yards.

Confidence oozed from Sibbald who began trickery to excite the visiting fans, but his team-mates trying similar were over-elaborate and should have scored more before Kallum Higginbotham slipped the ball in three minutes from time.