Hoodoo comes to an end with home win

Share this article

at last, Falkirk layed their new pitch bogey to rest with a long awaited victory over a very spirited Premier division three side Musselburgh at Sunnyside last weekend.

Although a bit disjointed at times, which no doubt the troublesome chilly wind played some part in, the hosts were comfortably ahead at the break.

But the Sunnysiders had to look sharp in the second period of play, as the East Lothian side countered strongly and Falkirk had to work very hard in defence to keep them out.

The match caught some supporters out by kicking off at 1.30 p.m. because of the forthcoming Six Nations Scotland v France international, in Paris. As well as causing confusion it also led to some of the Falkirk committee attending in France - and missing the pitches’ inaugral win.

Falkirk survived a bright start by the visitors before David Adamson fly-hacked the ball into Musselburgh’s 22 metre area where the Sunnysiders forwards took immediate control.

As a direct result of that the home side were awarded a penalty in the seventh minute, and David Adamson wasted no time at all in giving Falkirk a three point lead with his successful conversion.

Not long afterwards full back Gordon McGuire feilded the ball in his own half, and swiftly sent a counter-attack in motion by feeding Bob Wyllie, playing out of position on the wing for the day.

After making good ground near the touch line he transferred to outside centre Chris Harris at pace, and Falkirk’s number 13 finished the job off in style by cruising through for an unconverted try.

Following a lengthy spell of no scoring by both sides, the game was re-ignited again in the 32nd minute in spectacular style when Falkirk were awarded a penalty five metres inside their own half, with Adamson opting for the attempt at goal.

Steadying himself he then proceeded to send his siege gun fifty five metre conversion sailing between Musselburgh’s uprights, which admittedly may have been wind assisted but was very accurately struck nonetheless.

Repeating that feat, but this time from much closer in, Adamson converted another penalty one minute before the end of the half when the visitors were penalised for a high tackle just inside their 22 metre line.

That left the half-time score 14-0 in favour of the hosts.

Opening positively the Sunnysiders went on to increase their lead after only seven minutes of play, when following a telling breakout run from winger Niall Lear Falkirk again had Musselburgh under a good deal of pressure in their last quarter of the field, with Chris Harris eventually breaking through to score his brace of tries which was unconverted.

However Musselburgh countered in style in the 55th minute with a converted try, which was well deserved on pressure mounted on Falkirk’s line. Presently though Adamson again slotted over another penalty conversion for the Sunnysiders to stretch their lead, but to their credit Musselburgh again retaliated.

Winning clean ball about 15 metres out, the East Lothian side’s stand off put in an accurate diagonal punt to the corner from which their winger squeezed in at the corner flag for an unconverted try. n THIS week in a further Scottish Rugby Premier Cup tie Falkirk entertain Premier Division 1 side Dundee High School F.P’s at Sunnyside kick off is 2 pm.