Falkirk’s early-birds earn second league win

Picture Gordon Honeyman 31-08-13  CAMELON. Dorrator Road. Sunnyside. CALA Park. Falkirk v Dalziel rugby.
Picture Gordon Honeyman 31-08-13 CAMELON. Dorrator Road. Sunnyside. CALA Park. Falkirk v Dalziel rugby.
Share this article

Sticking to the task ahead of them, Falkirk produced another pleasing and encouraging performance against Motherwell-based side Dalziel at Cala Park last weekend.

Although their handling at times was not up to their usual standard, Falkirk prevailed but both teams struggled with the troublesome cross-wind for the whole game.

Yet again, though, they got themselves on the scoresheet very early on, when scrum-half Harry Russell took a quick tap penalty and set his backs in motion. Good interplay between backs and forwards saw Falkirk switch their direction of attack from the left to centre and lock-forward Lawrence Miller broke through from 15 metres and dotted the ball down just right of the uprights, with Stand-Off Dan Ritchie adding the conversion in the second minute.

Just as it seemed Falkirk’s back division was gathering momentum, inside-centre Tom Swan injured his knee in the 15th minute and had to be stretchered off, with Gregor Brodie coming on as replacement. However just five minutes later left-winger Richard Sievewright claimed a loose ball and a loud shout from full-back Gordon McGuire saw him take the ball at full pelt and weave his way through for a spectacular try which had those seated in the stand on their feet.

Falkirk’s fortunes took a temporary downturn in the 27th minute when right-winger Niall Lear was yellow-carded for deliberately knocking down the ball down.

Seizing their chance, Dalziel went on to pressurise Falkirk in their 22 metre area, and number eight Craig Simmonds crashed over near the corner flag.

Nevertheless the home side regrouped and again took play to their opponents and won two late injury time penalties, with Dan Ritchie converting both in the 42nd and 46th minutes for a half time score of Falkirk 18 Dalziel 5.

With Falkirk very much in command in the third quarter of the encounter, plus two Dalziel players yellow-carded, the home side failed to reap full advantage of the situation.

However, with eleven minutes remaining they made full amends by winning a five-metre line-out, and securing clean possession blind-side wing forward Stewart McCulloch picked his angle perfectly to cruise through unopposed for Falkirk’s third try.

Keeping up the pressure, a neat break from Logan Bonnar on Dalziel’s ten-metre line was taken on by the backs, only for play to break down,but Gordon McGuire assured a winning bonus point by fly-hacking the loose ball through and diving on it for that all important fourth try, which Logan Bonnar presently converted in the 75th minute.

Perhaps not surprisingly Gordon McGuire was voted man-of-the-match in the clubhouse afterwards.