Falkirk road win

02-11-13 Dalziel v Falkirk rugby. Gordon Honeyman.
02-11-13 Dalziel v Falkirk rugby. Gordon Honeyman.
Share this article

Surviving intermittent heavy rain squalls and finger-numbing temperatures Falkirk rallied well in the second half to stretch out a well-worked victory at Dalziel Park.

Thankfully the constant heavy downpour abated just as the match commenced and the first half was played out in relatively dry conditions, but the sky again blackened and the deluge returned with a vengeance for the entirety of the second period.

Full-back Harry Boyd opened the scoring when he converted a fourth minute penalty for Falkirk, but Dalziel’s Ross Donnachie countered for the home side, only for Boyd to again squeeze Falkirk into the lead with a further converted penalty in the 12th minute.

However, the game sparked into life straight from the restart when Aubrey MnCube fielded the ball and took off at a rate of knots, and after a lengthy break which saw him in Dalziel’s 22m area he transferred to Gary Dempsey, who jinked and weaved his way for a great spectator pleasing try, converted by Boyd.

The decreasing temperatures and wet ball had an effect and consequently both sides spilled at crucial times. Nevertheless Falkirk increased their score in the 35th minute when Dempsey scored but an interception try brought the score to 18-10.

Dalziel were boosted by that after the break but Aubrey Mncube kicked off a marvellous team try rounded off by Gregor Brodie sending Gordon McGuire scorching away, which Boyd duly converted with the half only three minutes old.

Not long afterwards that man MnCube pounced on the ball and literally turned and twisted his way over,and completely bewildered his would-be defenders for Falkirk’s bonus point awarding try.

Yet again though Falkirk were caught on the hop when a promising attack near Dalziel’s 22metre line broke down when a pass was intercepted,and before they knew where they were Dalziel’s Outside-Centre Ross Westwood crashed over for an unconverted try in the corner. Recovering well though Falkirk regrouped,and after winning a five metre line out Lock-Forward Stuart Williamson finally sealed the match in Falkirk’s favour when he got the ball down from the ensuing ruck.