Falkirk on rampage!

CAMELON, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 30: Falkirk RFC vs Dumfries, CALA Park, Camelon, August 30, 2014. (Photo by Jonathan Faulds)
CAMELON, SCOTLAND - AUGUST 30: Falkirk RFC vs Dumfries, CALA Park, Camelon, August 30, 2014. (Photo by Jonathan Faulds)

With their opening league fixture looming next week Falkirk got into gear with an overwhelming display of running rugby against Dumfries Saints last weekend.

Mind you they had to suffer the ignominy of conceding a try in the opening minute as Saints built up a head of steam in Falkirk’s 22 metre area and took their opportunity by dotting the ball in the corner.

However the home side responded in style and proceeded to score two quick tries within the opening ten minutes. Firstly,following a surge by the forwards deep into Saints territory, and winning a five metre line-out, lock-forward Cole Ronald crashed over, and very shortly afterwards right-winger Graham Lindsay finished off some fine phases of play near Dumfries’s line with a smartly taken try near the corner.

Alex Penman, at stand-off, then went on to convert a penalty in the 25th minute as Falkirk continued to mount pressure on their opposition by going on to score, arguably, the best try of the match, when captain Harry Russell broke blind from a line-out on Saints 10m line and and weaved through for a splendid individual try under the uprights, with Alex Penman adding the conversion.

Two minutes into injury time, and in a carbon copy of their opening score,winger Matt Larsen barged over for try number four after another awesome rolling maul, with Penman again slotting over the conversion for a half-time score of Falkirk 27 Dumfries Saints 5.

Commencing the second period as they had finished the first Falkirk’s forwards were again dominant with Russell breaking on the narrow side and scampering under the posts for his second try.

To their credit though, Saints countered with a converted one of their own,but that man Russell was at it yet again for Falkirk shortly afterwards as he went on to notch up his hat-trick.

At this stage of proceedings Falkirk just cut loose and went on to score two back-to-back tries through Penman plus a try each from Andrew Simpson and Robbie Hogg, with Penman adding five second- half conversions.