The seven-time world champion, who made £9 million in prizemoney during a glorious 27-year career before retiring in 2012, has accepted a two-year invitational tour card.
Last month he was beaten at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield – venue for the regular Betfred World Snooker Championship – by Jimmy White in the World Seniors Snooker Championship semi-finals.
Hendry said: “If my game keeps improving I can qualify for the Crucible.
“The ultimate goal is to walk out at the Crucible again (in the World Championship),” he said on an Instagram Q&A.
“That is a long way off. I will definitely enter. It would be amazing to walk down the stairs again at the main event, that would be incredible.”
Hendry said his first event could be at the UK Championship, scheduled for York from November 24 to December 6.
“I am coming in at the bottom so will be drawn against some good players straight away,” he said.
“It is going to be hard but if I get on a TV table with one of the top four or five players - I am not expecting anything - it will be a buzz.
“It will not be nice if I play terribly and lose 5-0 but that is a risk I have to take.”
Hendry saw his record of 36 ranking title wins passed by Ronnie O’Sullivan when he won his sixth world title. But the Scot said he isn’t returning due to O’Sullivan’s accomplishments.