Fury bounce back

FURY bounced back from last week’s defeat to Edinburgh Kings with a win against St Mirren - who had a man ejected for a clash with Fury captain Keith Bunyan.

A 15-3 opening quarter lead at the Lagoon in Paisley, saw Fury come into this game with a focused determination to remain in the title race.

After losing to title rivas Edinburgh. That opening spell saw great defence from Fury that pleased headcoach John Bunyan.

He told Heraldsport: “It’s always tough to get a win on the road to St.Mirren and at this stage of the season its important you win these difficult games.

“We played outstanding defence for the second week in a row in the opening period and that’s something we need to keep doing.

“Scott Russell had an excellent match and with Jonny in control at the point I felt we were pretty much in control for most of the game.

“If Walter Lubeigt had been able to finish like he normally can, the match would not have been close, he was none from seven and these were shots next to the basket.

“We still need to improve free throws – at least our big players do - but overall it was a solid performance.”

Scott Russell stole the Fury offensive show in the second stanza with four consecutive three-point scores but Saints battled back with one of their internationalists, Nick Collins hitting eight personal.

Nevertheless, Fury retained their lead going into the second half and the third period saw both teams struggle to pull out any sort of lead over each other. 15 apiece was the scoreline in that spell with threes from both Bunyan brothers - Keith and Jonny - helping retain a slender three point lead.

Centre Stuart McKay and captain Keith Bunyan put the early fourth quarter points on the board with some excellent inside out play. However the game was literally turned on its head when a clash between a St.Mirren player and Fury’s Keith Bunyan saw the Saints player ejected after he lashed out at the experienced Falkirk captain.

Bunyan calmly sank both the free throws that were awarded and it looked at that point as though Fury would finally take charge.

However, coaches son Euan Glass sank two long range three-point shots to keep the Paisley side in touch and it was not until Fury’s Russell and Jonny Bunyan finally ended Saints chances with some excellent offense that the game was over.

Headcoach John Bunyan added: “There is no place in our game in respect of the incident involving Keith and I expect our governing body to take the strongest measures possible.

“Basketball in Scotland has a pretty good record in respect of discipline and incidents involving players and fans and we want that to continue, it’s a family sport that people can go along and watch and enjoy.” n FURY travel to Glasgow next week where they face Glasgow University, a fixture that cost them last seasons league title. The Falkirk side defeated the multi-national students in their opening game of this season - but it wasn’t easy.