Frozen Stags are finalists

Grangemouth Stags RFC v St Andrews, Caley Bowl'Pic by Alan Murray 10-12-2011
Grangemouth Stags RFC v St Andrews, Caley Bowl'Pic by Alan Murray 10-12-2011
Share this article

The Stags were finally back in action on Saturday in the Caledonian Bowl semi-final, following two successive cancelled fixtures.

And there was reward for the two-day effort from volunteers to clear the Glensburgh pitch and make it playable for the visiting students who had won the previous meeting between the sides.

Stags now face a trip to Lossiemouth for the bowl final on January 28 after winning 13-7 in a game in which weather played a significant part.

The Stags started well and were quickly on the attack after Parsons had set up good position inside the visitors’ 22. However the ball was knocked on and the students were able to clear.

Grangemouth continued to press but St. Andrews continued to profit from the home side’s mistakes in the difficult conditions and the first quarter remained scoreless.

The opening score came after 25 minutes. Good tackling by Dempsey halted a St Andrews attack inside their own half and when they tried to continue the move Sangster anticipated well to intercept the pass and run in from 35 metres. McInally added the conversion.

Students responded immediately and good hands in the backs gave their full back enough space to use his pace to beat the cover defence for a converted try.

Grangemouth finished the half on top but were unable to convert possession into points.

Grangemouth started the second half on the attack again and this time were rewarded with a penalty and McInally again was on target with his kick.

St. Andrews dominated the next period and pinned the Stags back in their half but solid defence kept the home line intact.

Dalgleish was given a yellow card for an off the ball incident but St Andrews were unable to take advantage of the extra man. With the game entering the last 10 minutes Grangemouth were able to relieve the pressure with some good forward drives and sensible kicking to the corners by Sangster.

Finally, with 2 minutes to go McInally kicked another penalty to extend the lead and close out a hard-fought victory for the Stags in difficult conditions.

All the players deserve praise for their efforts with Stirling, Neill and Dempsey showing up well in defensive duties and skipper McInally kicking the points to secure the victory.

Grangemouth will now face the long journey north to play RAF Lossiemouth in the bowl final on January 28th.

Stags also extend thanks to club members who turned up on Friday to help pump water from the park and cleared the Saturday snow from the pitch.

The club would also like to thank Alex McQuade and Falkirk RFC for having one Sunnyside pitch on standby.