Warriors outgunned on a wild trip west

Date: 27/07/13, STENHOUSEMUIR, Ochilview, Ramsdens Challenge Cup, Stehousemuir FC v Arbroath FC. Stephen Craigan.
Date: 27/07/13, STENHOUSEMUIR, Ochilview, Ramsdens Challenge Cup, Stehousemuir FC v Arbroath FC. Stephen Craigan.
Share this article

Stenhousemuir showed the good, the bad and the ugly as they lost out by the odd goal in seven.

The good was the fact they had three different 
goalscorers and at times played some nice football.

The bad was the loss of three players during the game with Ross Brash and Sean Lynch suffering injuries and Eddie Malone was sent off 
after an altercation with Chris O’Neill where both players were sent off.

The ugly once again was the defending that gave 
Airdrieonians some easy goals and this looks to be a major worry if errors are not cut out as soon as possible.

Warriors boss Martyn Corrigan said: “

Both teams had chances in the opening minutes of the game with Willie McLaren forcing Chris Smith into a save after a penetrating run in the third minute.

John Gemmell had an appeal for a penalty turned down in the sixth minute after he went down after controlling the ball in the box. Two minutes later he made another appeal as he made a run into the box though on this occasion he appeared to have lost control. Once again referee Andrew Dallas was not impressed by his appeals and cautioned him for simulation.

In the 15th minute though Stenhousemuir did take the lead through a long range strike by Sean Dickson that flew into the top corner after a neat interchange of passes had opened the home defence up. Two minutes later Gemmell headed a Darren Smith cross over the bar but the striker was always stretching to get it.

It was a decent spell for the Warriors who were in control of the game though Brash had to leave the park in the 22nd minute, but they appeared to put it behind them when they scored the second a minute later.

Nicky Devlin’s cross from the right was cushioned by Gemmell into the path of Darren Smith who stroked the ball past Colin Stewart.

The good feeling was to come to an abrupt end in the 31st minute when Airdrie scored their first. A loose ball in the box was not cleared and David Sinclair rushed in to thunder a shot into the net giving Chris Smith no chance.

This gave the home side the boost that they required and it was now Stenhousemuir on the back foot. Sean Lynch departed in the 37th minute to be replaced by Errol Douglas and a minute later Eddie Malone and Chris O’Neill exchanged blows after a tussle on the ground and both were sent off. Stenhousemuir were still trying to reorganise when Nathan Blockley hit a long range shot that took a deflection and deceived Smith and went into the net.

Stenhousemuir were really struggling to hold it together and they failed to do so when Jim Lister scored in added time from close range after the Warriors had failed to clear a corner.

In the second period Stenhousemuir were always chasing the game against a team that had grown in confidence as the game had progressed. Martin Hardie came close to extending the lead in the 64th minute with an effort from the edge of the box that Smith did well to push out for a corner.

A minute later saw a Stenhousemuir breakaway end with a clever throughball by Sean Higgins to Darren Smith but his strike was saved by Colin Stewart.

This was followed immediately after this by another Warriors attack and Nicky Devlin was set up by Errol Douglas but Devlin was denied by a great block tackle by Grant Evans.

All realistic hopes of a comeback were extinguished when Lewis Coult tapped the ball into an empty net after the Warriors defence had been carved open by a decent passing move.

Sub Jamie Bain had an effort cleared off the line as Airdrie threatened to go nap.

Ross McMillan scored a consolation goal in the 88th minute when he side footed a Sean Dickson pass into the net from 14 yards.