Resurgent Warriors foiled in last second by ex-man Lithgow

A stoppage time equaliser from Alan Lithgow sent the Warriors home from Lanarkshire with only a point.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 11th April 2016, 3:00 pm
Brown Ferguson
Brown Ferguson

It was somewhat a reversal of fortune for Airdrie who have been on the receiving end of three late winners from Stenny this season.

The result leaves Stenhousemuir three points above Forfar in the relegation playoff position with three games remaining.

Manager, Brown Ferguson remained optimistic following the result, assuring that his side are “one win away” from pulling themselves out of the relegation dogfight: “I was disappointed to lose the two points, but at the same time a point at Airdrie or any away fixture in this league is a point on the board and we’ll take that. We’ve got three games and obviously we’re looking for one win and maybe slightly more than that but certainly, one game will give us a good chance.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

“We had eight players struggling in the squad, so to put in that work-rate, effort and application for themselves and individually was a big bonus and I’m confident going into the last three games.”

The opening stages of the match offered little goal scoring opportunities as the sides tried to feel each other out. Sean Crighton had the first effort on target of the match for the hosts when his headed effort from a corner only found the gloves of McCabe.

The visitors had a flurry of attack near the half hour mark. Angus Beith’s effort from 30 yards forced Neil Parry to palm the ball upwards and collect on the second attempt. Lewis Small’s effort was also saved when he managed to find space in the box with his back to goal, swivel and snap a first time shot.

Colin McMenamin then had a goal bound overhead effort ushered off the line by Lithgow in the closest of the chances Stenny had in the opening 45 minutes.

It was Alan Cook, subbed on for James Paterson in the first half, who broke the deadlock in the 60th minute against his old club. He stripped the ball from Marc Fitzpatrick and unleashed a howitzer from 35 yards into the back of the net.

The Diamonds were relentless in their pursuit of an equaliser and piled the pressure onto Stenny’s back line in the final 15 minutes. A late run from Jamie Bain drew a controversial foul and free kick in the 91st minute. This led to a corner whipped in by David Cox which was nodded home by Lithgow to share the points.