Raith Rovers 1 Falkirk 1: As you were in League One

A point still separates the League One top two after a goal apiece at Stark's Park with Declan McManus and Steven MacLean on target

Morgaro Gomis tussles with Regan Hendry. Picture: Michael Gillen
Morgaro Gomis tussles with Regan Hendry. Picture: Michael Gillen

The sides will have it all to do on the final day of the season when they meet again and that is still shaping up to be a title-decider with the Rovers a single point ahead.

The nerves then could be intensified but even then it'll be difficult to be much more cagey than the sides were in the first half.

In what constituted a chess match in the first 45 minutes where the sides barely registered any goalmouth threat and only Morgaro Gomis had an effort, it took until the restart for the game to come alive.

Regan Hendry trips Louis Longridge. Picture: Michael Gillen

The little Falkirk midfielder fired the first shot over after 32 minutes, up to which point the sides had sparred in midfield without landing a definitive blow.

Falkirk looked very deep and were unable to get Gary Miller on the ball to drive the Bairns forward. Instead he was a second defensive screen ahead of a new defensive partnership of Mark Durnan and Ben Hall.

Declan McManus also returned to the starting line-up but was given scant service in attack and the Bairns only outlets seemed to be Connolly the left and Mikey Doyle bombing up the right. A Connolly cross early on was slid past by de Vita biut the on-loan Livingston man was already flagged offside by the railway-stand linesman.

But it all changed in the second half when Steven MacLean slammed in the opener after two minutes of the second half and Falkirk had to open out.

Kyle Benedictus goes close for Rovers. Picture: Michael Gillen

The defence had been caught by a ball over the top and the veteran forward slammed the ball high beyond Robbie Mutch to give the home side the lead.

They looked comfortable too and Falkirk were forced into a change of shape and personell with Gomis replaced by Lee Miller.

It made all the difference.

Rovers had been rocked by the loss of ex-Falkirk goalkeeper Robbie Thomson who went down off the ball showing concern for his right knee and within five minutes of Ross Munro entering play,l and seconds after co-manager Miller stepped up, the Bairns were level.

Rafa de Vita went close early on but was offside anyway.Picture: Michael Gillen

Declan McManus was credited with the goal and was the most exuberant of several delighted leaps and bounds from the Bairns players after Aidan Connolly's free-kick was knocked into the net.

Raith were somehow held level by Robbie Mutch first punching a Danny Armstrong free-kick away and then denying Kyle Benedictus twice. Efforts from the Fifers' captain were pushed onto the post by the Bairns keeper and then an overhead kick from the same man was pushed onto the crossbar and away.

Substitute Lee Miller had made a difference to the Bairns, as had the change in shape and Miller almost had the hollywood endiong, but blazed over in the 84th minute after a Connolly step-over into his path.

Rovers had the final chance though, with a minute to go Kieron Bowie tapped just wide after a low Kieran MacDonald cross into a cluttered penalty box but the flick was just wide of Mutch's post and it's as you were at the top of League One.