Falkirk 1-1 Dumbarton: 10-man Bairns held by Sons

Ten man Falkirk were held to a 1-1 home draw against struggling Dumbarton in a League 1 clash at Falkirk Stadium on Tuesday night.

Tuesday, 30th March 2021, 9:42 pm
Blair Alston went close to scoring with two first half free-kicks for Falkirk (Pics by Michael Gillen)

Falkirk trailed to Rabin Omar’s shock second half opener but levelled through substitute Anton Dowds’ strike.

The Bairns suffered further when Mark Durnan was red carded for a last man foul but the game ended level.

After away defender Ryan McGeever had been booked very early on in a match played in mild conditions, the Bairns had the first goal effort when a fine long range free-kick from Falkirk’s Blair Alston was tipped over by away keeper Sam Ramsbottom.

A second stunning free-kick effort from Alston then rebounded off the Sons’ bar on nine minutes.

Home defender Ben Hall was booked for a foul before Dumbarton’s Rabin Omar unleashed a long range left foot effort from a tight angle on 27 minutes which was powerful but straight at Robbie Mutch.

The visitors came close to breaking the deadlock on 39 minutes when a corner from the left to the back post was nodded across by Morgyn Neill. Robert Jones’ initial effort was blocked before Nat Wedderburn’s follow-up was turned round the post by Mutch. Keena then shot wide for Falkirk at the other end.

Dumbarton had a great chance on 48 minutes when Tomas Brindley’s fine cross from the left was headed narrowly over by Omar.

Falkirk’s Calumn Morrison and Paul Dixon both claimed for penalties for possible handball by Dumbarton defenders after hitting speculative shots, but referee Steven Kirkland was unmoved.

Morrison’s whipped left footed cross then skimmed not too far over the Sons bar after being helped on by a defender.

And Robbie Leitch’s left footed delivery from the left for the hosts only just missed the far post.

Sub Kai Fotheringham and Alston both had efforts saved for Falkirk before Dumbarton took a shock lead on 67 minutes.

A long ball forward by keeper Ramsbottom found Omar and he shot impressively past Mutch.

But their advantage only lasted six minutes as Dowds volleyed in a cross from the right by fellow sub Akeel Francis to level the game with 17 minutes left.

There was then further drama in an action packed second half when Falkirk were reduced to 10 men when Durnan received a straight red card for a last man challenge on Robert Jones.

Falkirk almost won it in injury time when Neilson’s cross to the back post was met by the head of Hall but Ramsbottom saved brilliantly to turn the ball round the post.

But it finished 1-1 meaning Falkirk’s lead at the top over Cove Rangers is reduced to four points.