Glenafton 2-0 Camelon: Mariners’ late sickener

Myles Hogarth and the Camelon. Photo by Jonathan Faulds)
Myles Hogarth and the Camelon. Photo by Jonathan Faulds)

Camelon were knocked out by a deflected strike five minutes from time as Glenafton progressed to the Scottish Junior Cup final with Hurlford.

The managerless Mariners went into the game with a goal advantage following the 2-1 win at Carmuirs in the first leg last Sunday.

However a goal in each half at Loch Park with a goal disallowed for either side meant the home side progressed and prompted a party on the pitch and stultified Camelon’s cup dream.

It took 15 minutes for the Afton to take the lead on the day and level the scores on aggregate. After a series of corners for the home side, playing in red with Camelon in their all-black away strip, one was turned past Richie Barnard by Cameron Marlow.

The Mariners were trying to exploit the wings and were particularly dangerous on the left side with Eamonn Fullerton linking with Blair Batchelor and Jamie Donaldson ahead of him.

However the left-side, as the right-side, failed to bring a goal for the Falkirk district side eyeing their first final in 19 years.

The trio did come close though, Donaldson hit the top of the post with a chipped cross-cum-shot that clipped the upright and bounced clear on 23 minutes.

Kevin Kelbie volleyed over after a spot of ball-juggling and Marty Wright headed wide for the visitors, but they could have been two goals down when Aaron Conway ran clean through but overhit a touch and Barnard gathered. Donaldson also volleyed over after some craft by Marty Wright on the right wing, but the half-time lead was with Glenafton.

After the break Blair Batchelor pulled shot wide after side-stepping challenges in the box and the Mariners thought they were ahead when Colin Leiper volleyed just wide.

Glenafton thought they were 2-0 up when the ball was easily headed in but ref David Lowe ruled the goal out for an alleged push, but post-match analysis failed to show any infringement.

The Mariners’ good fortune didn’t last and Craig Young thought he had knocked a Derek Ure effort over the line in a goalmouth melee but Lowe didn’t give the goal.

It came back to haunt the Mariners as, five minutes from time and with many Camelon players committed to attack, a shot from 25 yards by Findlay Frye took a defelction and looped over Barnard for the winner. It sparked wild celebrations in the New Loch Park and Tommy Bryce and his players partied with a jubilant crowd for the best part of half an hour after the whistle.