Football Memories: No World Cup place but a win against England

The Scotland team that beat England 2-0 in 1962
The Scotland team that beat England 2-0 in 1962

This week’s picture is reproduced from a hand-coloured card of the Scotland team which faced England at Hampden Park on April 14, 1962.

An official crowd of 132,431 squeezed in to see a 2-0 Scotland victory with goals from Davie Wilson after thirteen minutes and a penalty from Eric Caldow two minutes from time.

Looking at the players on show, you have to wonder why Scotland didn’t manage to qualify for the World Cup finals in Chile. Eight of the defeated England team were to make the trip.

The team had a local connection in the right wing pairing of Alex Scott and John White, and the right back Alex Hamilton was born in Bo’ness.

Bill Brown of Spurs was the keeper and Eric Caldow of Rangers captained the side and had done so in the play-off qualifier against Czechoslovakia in Brussels which Scotland lost 4-2 after extra time. This was the third consecutive match where Hamilton and Caldow had been the full-backs.

The half-back line was very much an Old Firm affair, with Pat Crerand and Billy McNeill of Celtic linking up with Jim Baxter of Rangers. Baxter was undoubtedly a huge talent, but his mercurial personality meant he never reached the heights he should have.

Falkirk Bairn Alex Scott had signed for Rangers from Bo’ness United and was a real flying machine. He had scored a hat-trick on his Rangers début - guess who were the opposition? His home town team.

John White had moved from Brockville to Spurs, very much on the advice to their manager Bill Nicholson from Davie Mackay and Danny Blanchflower who were hugely impressed by the young Falkirk inside right. Wearing the number nine shirt was Ian St John who had moved to Liverpool from Motherwell where he had been one of the Ancell Babes. He later found fame as part of the successful Saint and Greavsie team on ITV. Ironically, his future television partner opposed him that day at Hampden.

At inside left was Denis Law of Turin. He had started off at Huddersfield Town before moving to Maine Road. A move to Turin in 1961 generated a fee of £100,000 - the first time a British club had been involved in a six-figure transfer. Denis later admitted he loved everything about Italy - except the football.

Finally, at outside was Davie Wilson of Rangers who was a real pacey winger who scored more than his fair share of goals, as Falkirk fans know only too well!

The line up for England that day was as follows: Springett, Armfield, Wilson, Anderson, Swan, Flowers, Douglas, Greaves, Smith, Haynes, Charlton.

No British referee was entrusted to officiate at the games between Scotland and England and on this occasion the man in the middle was Leo Horn of The Netherlands.