Usual suspects on the scoresheet as Falkirk fire third win of season past Pars

editorial image

Blair Alston and Lyle Taylor broke Dunfermline hearts once again as fantastic Falkirk ensured they would finish the season unbeaten against their stricken Fife rivals.

The Pars have endured a dreadful 48 hours and the events off the park continue to overshadow events on it.

By co-incidence, the Pars’ administration comes 15 years to the week of Falkirk’s financial woes and provisional liquidation.

Some of the Dunfermline players were featuring in the black and white for the final time before administrator Bryan Jackson moves in tomorrow (Thursday) to begin cost-cutting to save the club.

Yet in these times of great need only 2879 fans turned out for the great rivallry, and saw goals from Taylor and Alston defeat in Pars in an enjoyable game.

Dunfermline played good stuff at times, but Falkirk were sensational. After the limp defeats against Morton and Hamilton the Bairns redeemed themselves with a full 90 minutes of quality.

The passing was tight, short, sharp and quick and the desire to win back possession clear from the start.

And it was a bright start for the Bairns when Taylor gave them the lead after only 10 minutes.

A wicked curling free-kick from Thomas Grant was glanced by Taylor and beat Paul Gallacher.

The striker had a similar effort directed at the opposite post shortly before half-time but the Pars goalkeeper matched it and scooped off the line.

Darren Dods and Jonny Flynn were resolute in defence and Jay Fulton’s all-round play was the pick of the bunch, though Alston and Taylor rekindled the understanding partnership that has worked so well this season.

Michael McGovern did not have save to make in either half, though Ryan Wallace should have done better after turning Kieran Duffie and lashing over the bar with the equaliser laid on a plate.

Falkirk swapped the set-piece threat of Grant for David Weatherston in the second half, and the Bairns dug in more, especially when Jay Fulton had to be replaced by Craig Sibbald.

But they still carved out a late chance while Dunfermline players began to lose their cool and a good sweeping move between Weatherston, Taylor and Alston - all three of Falkirk’s scorers against Dunfermline this season - moved the ball to the midfielder and he scored his second late goal in injury time against his hometown club, digging the ball out of his feet and beyond Gallacher.