Taylor on target again as Bairns see off Morton

Taylor's stunning strike earned the points for Falkirk
Taylor's stunning strike earned the points for Falkirk
Share this article

Lyle Taylor’s stunning strike gave Falkirk a first half lead they wouldn’t concede as the Bairns claimed their first three points of the season.

Falkirk were unchanged from the team which impressed Steven Pressley in midweek against Rangers but they made an unsteady start – as did the hosts with both teams struggling in the torrential downpour.

However the slicked surface played a part in Falkirk’s opener after nine minutes.

Taylor had swung a boot at Jay Fulton’s cross from deep on the left wing, but missed. The ball skidded on the turf and slithered away from Derek Gaston for the midfielder’s opener.

David Weatherston should have given Bairns an unassailable lead when Taylor flicked McGovern’s kick out to Blair Alston who found the former St Johnstone forward.

He stepped around Willie Dyer but blasted over the bar from inside the box, unchallenged. Likewise a Jay Fulton shot from the same distance he scored from was a daisy-cutter that Derek Gaston had covered.

On the half-hour mark Morton levelled when Archie Campbell lifted the ball over McGovern from a Stephen Stirling pass from the right wing. The former Rangers striker held off Jonny Flynn and beat the on-rushing keeper.

The visitors had been under pressure after Kieran Duffie picked up an unfortunate yellow card for a late trip on David Graham. The ball went out to Morton’s right and was worked back in for the goal.

The lead didn’t last long though as a thunderous goal from Taylor, worthy of winning any match, flew into the net.

Craig Sibbald made an excellent challenge on Stirling in front of the dugouts and held off the Morton man before laying off to Blair Alston and keeping possession.

Alston was surrounded by three bodies on the touchline but worked his way out and the ball was played into Taylor in the left channel. From at least 25 yards the striker blasted into the far top corner then turned to the Falkirk fans alongside him.

After the break Falkirk dominated save for one chance for Morton.

The Bairns should have been playing ten men when Taylor ran on to an excellent Fulton through-pass but was cynically clipped by Scott Taggart while clean through. Ref Thomson only showed a yellow card, and appeared to get it wrong again in a similar scenario at the other end.

Campbell ran around Jonny Flynn and the defender poked a foot out from behind that seemed to inhibit the Morton man right on the edge of the box but the ref waved play on.

McGovern made a good stop in injury time to foil Campbell’s drive from long range but it was the Bairns’ three points.