Ross County 2 Falkirk 0: Bairns beaten in the Highlands

Captain Aaron Muirhead (Michael Gillen)
Captain Aaron Muirhead (Michael Gillen)

Falkirk's new manager Ray McKinnon watched on from the stands as Gordon Young's Falkirk side fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Ross County.

County took the lead on 68 minutes through substitute Jamie Lindsay and wrapped up the three points with a goal from Declan McManus in the last minute.

Watson and Sammut collide

Watson and Sammut collide

The hosts were in control in the first period, but rarely created outstanding chances against a stubborn Falkirk defence.

Michael Gardyne gave Lewis Kidd a very difficult 45 minutes, but defensively the Bairns were strong.

Callum Morris headed over in the first minute, with Keith Watson lashing a 30 yard strike wide inside the first ten minutes.

Ross Draper nodded just over from a floated ball on 11 minutes, with Aaron Muirhead the first Bairn to try his luck as he curled wide on 17 minutes.

Gordon Young's one and only game in charge of Falkirk is over

Gordon Young's one and only game in charge of Falkirk is over

Just a minute later, the best effort of the first period. A thunderous effort from Dimitris Froxylias from all of 30 yards was saved brilliantly by County keeper Scott Fox.

Marcus Haber was almost clean through after 25 minutes but he was also denied by Fox.

County dominated possession but were restricted to balls into the box which were easily dealt with by Dallison and Harrison.

The hosts almost took the lead just two minutes in to the second half. Liam Fontaine's diagonal found Josh Mullin and his ball in was headed down by Graham, but tipped wide of the post by Fasan.

Froxylias had another effort on 51 minutes which Scott Fox did well to save down low to his right, as the second half started evenly.

County took the lead on 68 minutes when Jamie Lindsay scored with what must have been his first touch of the ball. Gardyne did really well down the left, he was denied by Fasan and Tommy Robson inadvertently played the ball to Lindsay to tap in.

And the hosts thought it was 2-0 on 83 minutes when Brian Graham tapped in to an empty net, but he was denied by the linesman's flag. Michael Gardyne had again done brilliantly in the build up.

Scott Harrison had a golden chance only two minutes later when he headed Andy Irving's inch perfect corner wide of the post from six yards.

A huge miss, and the game was killed on 90 minutes. Graham was crucial in the build up, turning the ball into the path of Declan McManus who slotted home from the edge of the six yard box.

Tom Dallison hit the post in added on time but the game was long gone, and Falkirk remain bottom of the Championship table with no points from four games.