Rangers 4 Falkirk 0: Bairns drown in deluge

Luke Leahy met Rangers again
Luke Leahy met Rangers again

Falkirk suffered in a deluge of goals and rain in Glasgow.

A first-half strike from Nicky Law separated the sides at the interval but Rangers got better as the conditions got wetter.

Further goals from Lewis MacLeod, Kenny Miller and Nicky Clark made Falkirk suffer in the city.

The game started with a bang - from an artillery gun to mark Remembrance commemorations, and a minute’s silence, and once play was underway Falkirk were bright.

Rangers got too close to Jamie MacDonald too often however, but Falkirk, not quite as progressive in attack were a threat of their own, without really testing Steve Simonsen.

Falkirk, predictably, had to defend and they did well but a complete collective shutdown let Nicky Clark fire in at a corner while Bairns outnumbered Rangers in the box but stood off and failed to clear.

Will Vaulks went close with a deflected strike shortly before half-time that ruffled the wrong side of the goalnet and was as close as the Bairns came despite some promise from Rory Loy and David Smith.

Tom Taiwo had been added to the midfield and brought a competitive edge to the Bairns though often they were too competitive for John mcKendrick and numerous late tackles and challenges were called upon.

The goal had taken the wind out of their sails a little, and once Rangers went two ahead, capitalising on a Falkirk side aiming to turn the tide of the match with an equaliser, the Bairns sank with very little trace.

A quick counter saw sub Jon Daly hang a nice cross up for Lewis MacLeod to leap and head past Jamie MacDonald.

Then, it was one way traffic, though peter Houston pitched in Alex Cooper and Botti Biabi for the ineffective Blair Alston and Craig Sibbald.

MacLeos turned provider sliding the ball across goal for Kenny Miller to stroke in for 3-0 and the Falkirk fans who left would have missed Nicky Law’s tap-in ten minutes from time which completed the victory.