Lightning Taylor strike hands Falkirk a share of the spoils

Lyle Taylor was on target again
Lyle Taylor was on target again
Share this article

Lyle Taylor scored one of the fastest goals ever witnessed at The Falkirk Stadium when he fired the Bairns into a 1-0 lead against Bolton with just 14 seconds played of tonight’s friendly.

Owen Coyle’s Wanderers side barely had a chance to take their positions before a long pass from Darren Dods fell perfectly for the English striker who wasted no time in firing the ball past the hopelessly out-of-position Adam Bogdan.

It was a well-taken goal from a striker clearly brimming with confidence after enjoying an excellent pre-season with his new club.

Three minutes later Taylor had the ball in the net again, but this the linesman’s flag spared Bolton any further embarrassment.

It was one-way traffic in the first 10 minutes as Bolton struggled to match Falkirk, who looked sharp and eager to press their opponents.

Kieran Duffie typified the Bairns’ workrate when seized possession and darted into the box, but his shot was well saved by Bogdan.

Wanderers, who were relegated from the English Premier League last season and started the game with a team full of experienced international players, soon found their feet and Martin Petrov forced the first real save from Mark McGovern with a long range free kick.

Then, with 14 minutes played, Chris Eagles found himself in space and, with seemingly few options around him, opted to fire a shot from 35 yards which flew into the bottom right corner of McGovern’s goal.

Graham Bowman, Liam Dick and Jordan White came on at half-time for Michael McGovern, Stephen Kingsley and Lyle Taylor. Bolton also made changes, bringing on Andy Lonergan and Darren Pratley in place of Adam Bogdan and goalscorer Chris Eagles.

Sub keeper Bowman produced a great stop to deny Mark Davies soon after the break.

On the hour mark, both managers opted to make mass substitutions, with Smith, Turnbull, Dale Fulton, McGrandles, Rowan, Small, Tyler Fulton and Faulds all coming on for Falkirk, and Bolton making a similar number of changes.

With effectively two new teams now on the park the game slowed in tempo as the players took time to adjust themselves.

Both teams continued to have chances as the clock counted down, with Jordan White going close for Falkirk after beating the offside trap, and Petrov again looking threatening for the Lancashire club.