Late show for Bairns first win of the season

24/11/12. John Devlin. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. Falkirk v Hamilton. Steven Pressley celebrates the second goal.
24/11/12. John Devlin. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. Falkirk v Hamilton. Steven Pressley celebrates the second goal.

Falkirk’s first home win of the season has been delayed by several months - and the players were just as late in sealing that all important first victory over Hamilton.

Substitute Lewis Small fired high into the net for the 94th minute winner, after Conor McGrandles had equalised Jonathan Page’s header.

In a team which started with no less than seven graduates from the Falkirk Academy the Bairns made a bright start, impressing without scoring in the first half but then they fell behind against the run of play after the break.

They could have had the lead early on when a clever pass from Thomas Grant – the shining light in last week’s 2-1 defeat at Livingston – released Lyle Taylor into the box and the striker was smothered by goalkeeper Kevin Cuthbert and Jonathan Page who deflected the ball wide.

The resulting corner from Grant was a good one, but cleared to the far wing where Conor McGrandles got to work. He turned his namesake McGlinchey inside out before lifting a delightful cross into the middle of the box where Lyle Taylor lurked.

An acrobatic bicycle kick wowed the sleepy Stadium, and had the crowd roaring – but Cuthbert thrust out a foot to block.

The first half ended with pressure from the Bairns and Thomas Grant Taylor and Duffie were testing the Accies’ backline, but couldn’t breach Cuthbert.

That end of the net did see a goal though, on 58 minutes Page squeezed a header past McGovern from a free-kick conceded by Craig Sibbald on the right-side of Falkirk’s defence.

In response Kieran Duffie played neat passes with Jay Fulton before sashaying into the box round four Hamilton defenders. Forced wide, he prodded across goal and it would have crept in, but for a slide by Martin Canning that cleared the danger.

Dods scooped a shot narrowly over on 65 minutes, and a piledriver from Murdoch went over the bar.

With time running out McGrandles lashed in the equaliser at the back post after Canning headed off Murdoch’s free kick away and the Bairns piled forward for the winner immediately.

Their pressure paid off in a goalmouth melee when Sibbald’s corner in the 91st minute was headed at goal by Darren Dods. It was blocked, and the captain cracked another shot straight at Kevin Cuthbert who had Lyle Taylor alongside him. The striker pounced but Hamilton pushed the ball away from goal only as far as Small who lashed into the roof of the net.

Have your say on the weekend action be it Falkirk, Stenhousemuir the Shire or the inactive Juniors. Tell us on Twitter @FalkirkHeraldSp, and we’ll include a selection in this week’s #FHTwittertalk.