Late goal sees Bairns leave Kirkcaldy pointless

Luke Leahy opened the scoring for Falkirk
Luke Leahy opened the scoring for Falkirk
Share this article

Falkirk put on a much-improved performance but still fell to Raith Rovers at Stark’s Park.

A goal from Grant Anderson four minutes from time kept the points in Kirkcaldy after David Smith’s deflected strike cancelled out Luke Leahy’s opener.

A lively first half for Falkirk was marked by Lyle Taylor and Andy Haworth’s partnership up front which seemed to have clicked during the two-week break from games.

Taylor twice flashed a shot wide after cutting past Dougie Hill on the right side of the Falkirk attack, but both times his strike crossed the goalmouth and narrowly by the far post.

Raith were always a threat to the Bairns defence, which included trialist Robbie Neilson in the side at the expense of Kieran Duffie. He and Darren Dods and Jonny Flynn dealt with several corners as Raith pressed for the opener.

But that came from Falkirk two minutes before the break.

Haworth played a clever ball over the top to Taylor who helped the ball on in hope of lobbing Ross Laidlaw but the keeper pushed tit off course, only for Leahy to ram the ball in at the back post.

But from the restart Falkirk had switched to a defensive mode and looked to play on the counter attack.

It brought Raith on to them and cost them 10 minutes after the restart. David Smith curled a spectacular equaliser past McGovern from 25 yards.

That brought Falkirk out and they continued to look positive with the ball in possession but Taylor was unable to breach Laidlaw with another powerful effort on 68 minutes.

The introduction of Conor Mcgrandles picked the Bairns up and his link play with Hayworth looked promising until all the good work caved in with four minutes to go.

Raith had pressed for the previous five minutes but McGovern had parried the best of those attempts, a 25 yard rocket free-kick from captain Allan Walker.

But he was beaten at the second attempt by Grant Anderson who forced home a low cross from Smith despite the Bairns keeper scooping the ball off the line at his first attempt.

The majority of Falkirk fans stayed to the end to see their players off from agame they should have taken something froM.

The news got worse for the Bairns with the teams below them in the league - Hamilton and Dumbarton - both racking up wins, leaving Steven Pressley’s men six points off the bottom.