Huntly 2 Falkirk 6: Bairns are simply too good for their Highland League opponents

Gary Holt's Falkirk team hit Huntly for six on Wednesday evening
Gary Holt's Falkirk team hit Huntly for six on Wednesday evening
Share this article

Falkirk needed only a minute to take the lead in the second game of their pre-season tour of Aberdeenshire last night.

With the Huntly defence caught cold, Blair Alston’s neat flick left Botti Bia-Bi clear in the box and the youngster sidefooted his shot past the goalkeeper with some style.

Two minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead. The ball dropped perfectly for Stephen Kingsley to explode a shot on the volley high past the ‘keeper from 12-yards.

Huntly were struggling under the onslaught. They were lucky it wasn’t three in the next attack when Alston’s mazy run to the byeline saw him clip a cross on to the head of Taylor but the normally deadly striker nodded wide on this occasion.

Seconds later the two combined again, this time Taylor was the provider – a neat ball to the front post where Blair Alston almost telepathically waited to touch the ball home from barely a yard.

The Huntly bench were frantically calling on the players to “get their act together” but it fell on deaf ears as Leahy rounded the keeper to square for the lurking Taylor, but this time his strike was blocked on the line by McKenzie.

The next goal was only delayed by 90 seconds as Lyle Taylor raced clear of the chasing Huntly defence before executing a sublime chip over the outrushing goalkeeper for goal number four.

It was one of the most one-sided contests Falkirk had been involved in for a long time and there must have been serious concerns for the home fans that this could end in double figures.

More X-rated defending allowed Lyle Taylor to take the ball off the central defenders and simply roll a shot into the net past the overworked home keeper. The home No. 1 redeemed himself with a great save from Leahy before the home side snatched a goal back in 36 minutes.

A deep cross evaded Bowman and McCarthy headed powerfully past the goalkeeper from a couple of yards.

There was no let-up as the second-half commenced, with Falkirk still firmly in the driving seat and looking to add to their goal-tally.

Botti Bia-Bi and Leahy forced a great double save out of the home ‘keeper in 52 minutes, then the former nodded what looked like a great goal after Leahy had headed across the six-yard box but the assistant’s raised flag quickly curbed any celebration.

Great interplay by Jay Fulton and Leahy set-up Botti Bia-Bi and the recent Academy graduate showed a cool head to shoot past the keeper for number six.

With eight minutes left Czech striker Madel clipped an effort past Bowman, the ball entering the net off the knee of the unfortunate Liam Dick to make the score just that tiny bit more respectable.

Falkirk: Bowman, Rowan, Dick, McGrandles (Faulds 54), Vaulks (Flynn 54), Kingsley (Duffie 54), Leahy, Bia-Bi Taylor (R. Blair 41) Grant (J. Fulton 41) Alston