Hamilton test is reward for Falkirk victory

Lyle Taylor (left) scored twice in Falkirk's 4-1 win against Forfar Athletic on Saturday.
Lyle Taylor (left) scored twice in Falkirk's 4-1 win against Forfar Athletic on Saturday.

Falkirk will face Hamilton Academical in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup following the Bairns’ 4-1 win against Forfar on Saturday.

Goals from Lyle Taylor, Stewart Murdoch and David Weatherston were enough to see off Dick Campbell’s side.

The Second Division club started the match confidently and quickly adapted to the heavy Westfield pitch.

Falkirk took the lead with 18 minutes gone when Lyle Taylor fired home for his 21st goal of the season from eight yards.

But the Bairns fans barely had a chance to retake their seats when Forfar went straight back up the park and were awarded a penalty when Stephen Kingsley brought down Ross Campbell.

Iain Campbell coolly dispatched the penalty to bring The Loons level less than 120 seconds after Taylor’s strike.

Forfar, the last part-time team to remain in the competition, continued to cause Falkirk problems but the Bairns’ superior fitness began to tell as the second half wore on.

The games’ turning point came after 68 minutes when Sean Higgins’ cross was met with a firm header from Stewart Murdoch. The ball flew past Darren Hill in the Forfar goal, but only after Lyle Taylor had swung a boot at it.

Debate raged as to who got the final touch, but the goal was awarded to Murdoch – despite protests from Taylor after the game.

Falkirk added a third goal seven minutes later when substitute David Weatherston raced clear to score.

And victory was secured on 83 minutes when Lyle Taylor volleyed home Sean Higgins’ cross.

Meanwhile, Stenhousemuir returned to action following a two week lay-off with a 1-0 win against Arbroath at Ochilview.

Striker John Gemmell, returning to the team after a long spell away due to injury, scored the only goal of the game on the stroke of half-time.

The win leaves the Warriors with 26 points, only three away from the Second Division play-off places.

East Stirlingshire had to settle for a point at Links Park as they drew 2-2 with Montrose.

John Coughlin’s side had taken a two-goal lead thanks to two fine strikes from David Greenhill.

But a late equaliser from David Gray ensured the game ended all square.