Goals galore for Falkirk

Photo: John Devlin. 05/11/13. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. G.V's of stadium. JD
Photo: John Devlin. 05/11/13. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. G.V's of stadium. JD
Share this article

Another double from Rory Loy, plus goals from Craig Sibbald and Will Vaulks gave Falkirk a second convincing league win over Livingston.

The forward seems to score in multiples of two and did so again at The Falkirk Stadium in the second half.

The Bairns held the lead at half-time thanks to Vaulks converting a loose ball in the penalty box nine minutes before the break.

The first-half was relatively tame affair interrupted early on by Coll Donaldson’s substitution after a thunderous 505- collision with Stephen Kingsley. Both received treatment but played on, though the Livi man would shortly be replaced by Kyle Wilkie after breaking down again.

Falkirk had all of the chances of note, albeit they were few, and Livingston’s only threat came with a mistake by David McCracken and Michael McGovern.

It did not prove costly and the Bairns could have opened the scoring from a Conor McGrandles header but he knocked an excellent Stephen Kingsley cross over, or through Jay Fulton who side-footed a Phil Roberts cut-back wide on the half-hour.

Instead it was pressure in the penalty box and a loose ball bobbling that was forced in by Vaulks to hand the Bairns the lead.

Roberts could have made it 2-0 running onto a lofted McGrandles pass but he took on the first-time shot and screwed the ball wide.

Roberts came close after the break too, stepping over a knee-high cross from Duffie without managing to knock it over the line.

A lovely little inside pass from Craig Sibbald to Rory Loy also almost brought the second, but Loy pulled his shot from the edge of the box inches wide with Darren Jamieson rooted to the spot.

Mark Millar had - by his standards - a quiet debut marshalling the defensive midfield area, and allowing Conor McGrandles more opportunity to rush forward. A McGrandles breakaway through pass to Sibbald poor and deflected into Loy’s path. Feinting one way, then the other he blasted the second goal into the net from eight yards on 52 minutes.

Jay Fulton was over-elaborate in firing a Rory Loy cross into the unguarded net on 58 minutes,moving for the acrobatic volley rather than heading the ball in.

However the third did come shortly afterwards from another left-wing cross. Craig Sibbald read the play to intercept and Conor McGrandles took over, he stepped forward and played in Roberts who cut-back for Sibbald arriving late into the box to steer in the third.

It was probably as well as the Bairns have played since they last met Livingston and Phil Roberts ran riot, and Livingston had no answers again, even when Martin Scott was presented with an unguarded net after Barrowman cut in from the right wing and passed from the by-line. The midfielder’s shot at goal, with Michael McGovern absent, was blocked by Conor McGrandles to keep the sheet clean.

But there was more action at the other end, Loy grabbed a double - as he so often does - after a nice passing move involving the Bairns attack when Loy back-heeled into Jay Fulton’s path for the midfielder to shoot. Jamieson parried but Loy was following the rebound and knocked the ball over the line.

The Bairns did concede though when a cut-back from Barrowman was stumbled into the net by Will Vaulks. Gary Holt introduced Blair Alston and Rakish Bingham for Craig Sibbald and Phil Roberts, while Jonny Flynn continued his return from injury with eight minutes late on.