Gibson will not play for Falkirk again after walkout

Gibson's attitude disappointed boss Pressley
Gibson's attitude disappointed boss Pressley
Share this article

Falkirk’s Willie Gibson walked out after being substituted at half-time of today’s match and is to be exiled by boss Steven Pressley.

Falkirk's former Dunfermline and St Johnstone playmaker was substituted at half-time with Raith leading 2-1.

But while his team-mates drew level after the break, Gibson made an exit and left The Falkirk Stadium.

His actions enraged boss Steven Pressley: "I treat all my players with respect and I expect that back.

"We have a team environment built on respect. We trust eachother. That has been broken. He will be disciplined.

"And it is safe to say he will not play for this club again."

Gibson was signed in January on a short-term deal until the end pof the season, aiming to play regular first team football after being frozen out at St Johnstone and feeling homesick at Crawley Town.

He was in hard-working form last week at former club Queen of the South but was involved in an altercation with the main stand linesman early in the first half, when he appeared to be caught in the face by Allan Walker.

However, Gibson was later hooked by Pressley and his time with the Bairns will end on a sour note with his contract coming to an end in a matter of weeks.

"I made two substitutions - Jay had played two games with Scotland and I thought his energy levels were below what we'd like, and WIllie Gibson's commitment and desire to the team disappointed me.

"Willie Gibson then proceeded to leave the Stadium at half-time. I will not tolerate that kind of behaviour."

The Falkirk Herald understands that while contracts for David Weatherston, Darren Dods and Michael McGovern have been discussed, a decision on Gibson's future was still in the balance - but the decision has been made for Steven Pressley.

Gibson's replacement - Blair Alston - scored Falkirk's equaliser to take the scores 2-2 but Brian Graham scored immediately for Raith to give the Kirkcaldy club three crucial points in the fight against relegation from Division One.