Falkirk suffer second defeat at hands of Rangers

Sibbald was one of Falkirk's brightest performers on a disappointing night
Sibbald was one of Falkirk's brightest performers on a disappointing night

Falkirk could not knock Rangers out of the Communities Cup for a second consecutive season.

The Bairns went down 3-0 at Ibrox tonight despite a promising start.

A double from Lee McCulloch sandwiched a goal from Andy Little to hand Ally McCoist’s Third Division team their second win over Steven Pressley in nine days.

Falkrik began well with the same side who earned their first win of the season at Morton at the weekend starting again.

And David Weatherston almost gave the Bairns the lead after just eight minutes when his shot from Jay Fulton’s cross hit the post after good work down the left by Stephen Kingsley.

But Rangers took the lead with a header from McCulloch after 18 minutes. Falkirk were given warning when McCulloch stepped around Chris Smith and screwed a shot wide, but the ex-Motherwell man rose high to head Ian Black’s corner under Kingsley on the line and into the net.

Michael McGovern did his best to keep the scores down as drives from Little and Faure were expertly tipped over by the goalkeeper but just after the half-hour mark it was two with Little racing clear and firing in from the edge of the box.

Craig Sibbald, Stewart Murdoch, Jonny Flynn and McGovern were a good spine for Falkirk, but they couldn’t trouble Alexander in the Rangers’ goal for the remainder of the first half.

After the break, Rangers comfortably hung on to possession and a blunder by Chris Smith put the game beyond Falkirk’s reach.

The defender ignored McGovern’s call and headed from under the goalkeeper straight to McCulloch who stroked into the unguarded net.

Falkirk rarely threatened in the second half, though a Lyle Taylor free-kick shortly bafter the break went just wide.

Late on Steven Pressley range the changes, giving Andy Haworth the last 20 minutes after a positive shift from Sibbald and Dale Fulton replaced the tiring David Weatherston with five minutes to go.