Falkirk and Hamilton draw gives Pressley personnel problems

Steven Pressley has defensive problems with Darren Dods, Stewart Murdoch and Jonny Flynn suspended
Steven Pressley has defensive problems with Darren Dods, Stewart Murdoch and Jonny Flynn suspended
Share this article

Falkirk were held at New Douglas Park, and have selection problems for next week’s home match against Morton following Jonny Flynn’s red card.

The defender was sent off for denying Gary Fisher a goalscoring opportunity in the 58th minute of the draw.

It’s Falkirk’s third consecutive game with a red card and leaves them defensively frail for the match with the high-flying Greenock side at The Falkirk Stadium next week.

However, it was also the third game from the last four that has had Lyle Taylor on the scoresheet, with the in-form Bairns striker hitting number 17 of the season to give Falkirk a first half lead.

He seized his opportunity after a pair of mistakes from goalkeeper Kevin Cuthbert and defender Jonathan Page in the 13th minute to home in on the goalkeeper and steer the ball into the corner of the net.

The Bairns were dominant in the first half, but there was a distinct lack of clear-cut chances for either side, particularly Hamilton.

That changed with the red card though.

The Accies peppered Michael McGovern’s goal and only a fortuitous series of blocks on the line and in the penalty box and two excellent saves from the Bairns number one, kept the score down heading into the final ten minutes.

But it all went wrong when Stewart Murdoch and Stephen Kingsley mistimed a jump to clear Ali Crawford’s cross. The ball fell loose around the penalty spot and McGovern rushed to claim, made the initial block but as ther ball squirmed loose neither he nor Murdoch took the ball and sub Darian McKinnon slid in to poke the ball into the net.

Pushing on Luke Leahy and Lewis Small for the final eight minutes of regulation time they survived a late scare when Andy Ryan flashed a bobbling shot across goal a minute into injury time.

The Accies piled on the pressure throughout a total of six additional minutes, but the match ended in stalemate