Falkirk 6 Cowdenbeath 0: Five-star Bairns hit six

Falkirk were applauded off after their 6-0 win
Falkirk were applauded off after their 6-0 win

David Smith was the architect of a great Falkirk performance against Jimmy Nicholl’s side.

The Bairns ran riot in the first half with goals from Rory Loy, Peter Grant, Alex Cooper and Smith himself before captain David McCracken knocked in a second half header before a howitzer from Will Vaulks.

Falkirk v Livingston 21/10/2014 Falkirk Manager Peter Houston

Falkirk v Livingston 21/10/2014 Falkirk Manager Peter Houston

More than 250 season ticket holders had taken up their opportunity for a free ticket under the ‘No Nil-Nil’ scheme and the fans were treated to a five-star show.

However, Cowdenbeath started strongly with Callum Gallagher hitting the by-line and luring Jamie MacDonald out of his goal and laid off to Higgins who screwed the sho6t wide of the empty net and cluster of retreating defenders.

The Bairns got another scare when Gallagher almost captured a stray ball when MacDonald took a fresh-air swipe at the ball - but only after the Bairns had opened the scoring.

David Smith charged unchallenged to the by-line and his low hard cross was back-heeled into the net at the front post by Rory Loy.

Smitgh was Falkirk’s main man and did more in his opening half-hour than the Bairns support had seen fromk him in his first two months at the club.

It was an incredible performance and his team-mates fed off his confidence and it helped further the Bairns cause before the interval.

After 19 minutes Smith got on the scoresheet himself with a powerful free-kickfrom just outside the box and he almost turned creator again when Will Vaulks patiently fed him down the right-wing and a great cross from the ex-Hearts man was just too high for Alex Cooper.

But he would get his goal as some neat footwaork from Sibbald on the left wing created space and Cooper, drifting inside took the pass and blasted beyond Thomson.

If the fans were pleased they were ecstatic with a fourth when Cowdenbeath failed to clear a corner effectively and Peter Grant steered a half-volley into the net to give the Bairns a huge advantage at half-time. They were a far-cry from the shaky side which almost conceded twice early on with MacDonald off his line.

The Blue Brazil made two changes at the break with Dean Brett and Lewis Milne on for Iain Campbell and Chris Kane but it did not stem the tide.

Loy went close with a lofted shot defelcted out for a corner and from it Vaulks had a header cleared off the line by Kyle Miller.

The goal came though and it was 5-0 when McCracken rose highest to knock in David Smith’s corner.

There was no way Falkirk were losing the game and they still battled on and closed down from the front - but there were fears in the 75th minute when the floodlights went off the game might be abandoned - but ref Steven McLean felt the light was sufficient to comnplete the game with the Bairns cruising at 5-0.

Botti Biabi joined Scott Shepherd and Tom Taiwo in coming on and within two minutes the striker had hit the post, knocking Shaughnessy’s cross onto the upright from a couple of yards out.

Biabi went close again stabbing a shot narrowly wide after good set-up play from Rory Loy and Robbie Thomson kept a late thunderbolt from Will Vaulks out with a great one-handed block for the shot that was destined for the top corner.The midfielder made sure of the victory though and in a carbon copy of his first strike, beat Thomson this time with the sixth goal that sealed the win and a good day for Peter Houston and his team.