Falkirk 1 QoS 1: Bairns salvage point

Falkirk drew 1-1 with Queen of the South
Falkirk drew 1-1 with Queen of the South

A deflected free-kick gave Falkirk a share of the points after a tedious afternoon against Queen of the South.

Craig Sibbald’s set-piece 10 minutes from time seemed to be deflected into the net by Queen’s capatin Chris Higgins which cnacelled out Gavin Reilly’s opener.

Falkirk made three changes to the side which lost to Stranraer in the Petrofac Training Cup last week with new signings Owain Tudur Jones, David Smith plus Botti Biabi drafted into the side at the expense of Blair Alston, Alex Cooper and Ryan Blair.

The first half was a non-event, though David Smith looked lively when he got on the ball.

He sent a low cross to the front post that caused problems for the visitors, and also ran onto a clever through ball from Tom Taiwo.

Smith and Rory Loy linked up well on the 38th minute, with some good footwork and the shot from the Bairns’ top scorer was too weak and straight at Zander Clark.

Shortly before half-time Gavin Reilly flashed a shot on the turn across goal which concerned Jamie MacdOnald but all in it had been a tame foirst half and Craig Thompson’s whistle hardly registered with the slumbering support.

The second half was not much better though Craig Sibbald attempted to enliven them with a couple of darting runs that brought no more than a corner and Rory Loy flashes a shot that trickled across the goal-line.

Then QoS took the lead.

Danny Carmichael was denied by a great finger-tip save by MacDonald and with the visitors still applying pressure, Ian McShane played in Carmichael who squared for Reilly to thump the visitors ahead.

The Bairns were stunned into silence, but came alive on 80 minutes when a low ehipped free-kick from Craig Sibbald was deflected into the net.

It could’ve been Blair Alston, it could’ve been Will Vaulks, but Craig Sibbald took the plaudits suggesting an own goal. It was a goal nevertheless and Falkirk were interested again, but their late rally couldn’t swing the result in their favour and Craig Thompson ended an uneventful afternoon in a draw.