Falkirk 1 Dumbarton1 : Bairns foiled late on

Peter Houston is looking for his first home win
Peter Houston is looking for his first home win

Much improved Falkirk were pipped at the post by Dumbarton’s last gasp equaliser.

After the hideous showing at Stranraer and the flat performance at home to Queen of the South last week the Bairns were terrific for the early stages, but blew it late on.

Eventually they ran out of steam but they had put in an incredible effort for more than an hour which would have thoroughly justified their first three points at The Falkirk Stadium this term. But Chris Kane forced home a last ditch equaliser for the Sons after Falkirk had taken the lead - and many thought the points - in unusual circumstances - a Craig Sibbald header.

The build-up to the fifth minute goal was terrific and a template of what was to follow for the first half and a lot of the second.

Blair Alston did well on the left and played a one-two- with Smith before Tom Taiwo found Shaughnessy. Ther right-back couldn’t get a cross away and knocked back to Taiwo who lifted it high into the danger area. Sibbald peeled off at the back of the pack to nod home unchallenged after just a matter of seconds.

More lovely one-touch play involved Luke Leahy, Rory Loy and Smith but couldn’t bring a goal and Dumbarton only threatened twice and both time avoidably on the break.

Will Vaulks conceded possession on the half-way line to Chris Kane shortly after the opener and the forward sprinted at goal but Joe Shaughnessy was covering the out-paced David McCracken to clear.

Later there was a misjudged reverse header from Vaulks but Dumbarton hesitated before testing MacDonald and the chance was gone.

In between times Shaughnessy rattled the crossbar from 12 yards after Rory Loy glided up the by-line and squared to the on-loan Aberdeen man who thumped the frame of the goal.

Aside from Vaulks’ two fragile moments it was a solid show from Falkirk and one that deserved further goals. However the display wasn’t matched by the card-happy whistler Kevin Graham who misjudged several incidents to the chagrine of both sets of fans equally. Peter Houston left the pitch at half-time deep in conversation with the whistler over a half-tiem booking for Owain Tudur Jones for a raised boot as he tried to bring the ball down.

That’s how it stayed for the duration though the Bairns should have had more goals and after such an all-action approach to the first half, fatigue set in towards the end. Jamie Macdonald was still alert to make a sprawling save to push a Mark Gilhaney drive out with four minutes to go and watched Colin Nish steer Archie Campbell’s drive wide in a nervy close.

However the pressure was maintained and rewarded with a last-ditch goal when Kane forced the ball over the line after Steven McDougall’s cross.

It takes the shine off an excellent early show from the home side which would have been the perfect platform to taking on Rangers here on Tuesday night.

**The Falkirk Stadium shop will be open late tonight (Saturday) for ticket sales.**