Falkirk 0 East Stirlingshire 1: Tenants win closed door friendly at Falkirk Stadium

A second-half goal from a trialist gave Shire the win in the first pre-season game at The Falkirk Stadium.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 12:30 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 12:42 pm
East Stirlingshire celebrate the winner. Picture: Michael Gillen.
East Stirlingshire celebrate the winner. Picture: Michael Gillen.

A second-half goal gave the tenants a win over the landlords in the first bounce match of the season at The Falkirk Stadium.

Falkirk and East Stirlingshire are both used to the surroundings, having trained on the pitch throughout their pre-season schedules, but stepping up into full-scale matches – behind closed doors – proved more promising for the Shire in their second outing.

Their substitute trialist did his chances of a permanent deal no harm with an excellent goal to round off a great flowing move from Derek Ure’s men that beat a fellow trialist in the Falkirk goal.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Robbie Mutch is beaten by the flight of the ball. Picture: Michael Gillen.

Both sides rattled the woodwork during the game which was littered with uncontracted players and others hopeful of getting a deal.

For Falkirk, it was a first full run out for new signings Scott Mercer, Calumn Morrison and Anton Dowds who started the match and Blair Sneddon who was the only named player on the Bairns’ bench full of trialists.

It started positively for the Shire with Nicky Low smashing an effort off Robbie Mutch’s post but at the other end, former Graeme High pupil Ross Connelly tipped a Morrison strike onto the crossbar.

The Bairns changed it up at half-time and introduced local youngster Sneddon to the fray and he made his presence felt with an initial crunching tackle on Ronan Kearney that earned a caution from ref Matthew McDermid.

Nicky Low's shot hit the post. Picture: Michael Gillen.

Also off in the changes was Robbie Mutch and his English replacement between the sticks was beaten by one of East Stirlingshire’s two trialists midway through the second period after a flowing move from the side wearing their light blue hooped change kits.

The Bairns did go looking for an equaliser though and another trialist hit the crossbar with a header for Falkirk but the first bounce match of the season ended with a win for the Shire – who also drew 2-2 with Camelon at the weekend.

Falkirk have lined up three more matches with Championship sides before the competitive campaign begins.

Blair Sneddon was booked for this challenge. Picture: Michael Gillen.