Dumbarton 1 Falkirk 0: Late goal stuns Bairns

Blair Alston was taken off immediately after the goal
Blair Alston was taken off immediately after the goal

A goal against the run of play consigned Falkirk to defeat in blustery Dumbarton.

Archie Campbell thumped an unstoppable 25yard strike into Jamie MacDonald’s top right-hand corner and gave the keeper no chance.

The Bairns had been pressing for the opener for the majority of the second half after the weather spoiled the opening 45 minutes.

The rolling wind was the main factor in the first half of with success determined by which side seized the rebound quickest from the awful wind-interference applied to passes and clearances.

A couple of panicked moments in defence amounted to nothing though Mark Wilson may feel hd should have tested Jamie MacDonald rather than hitting the side netting from the edge of the box.

The goalkeeper, with the wind at his back. Was relatively untroubled, unlike opposite number Danny Rogers who struggled to get the ball further than 30yards from his goal kicks.

Rogers had to get low to push a Will Vaulks drive out and dealt with Blair Alston’s corners but more often than not the wind was lifting the ball over his goal and the fence behind it.

MacDonald managed to clear the halfway line with his first clearance - a notable achievement - and the wind eased significantly in the second half.

The Bairns went close afte a good interchange on the left between Leahy and Baird and the left back’s to cross caused chaos in the middle of the box. Goes got a foot on he ball but not enough to clear. Mark Kerr rushed in to prompt a stramash, where the ball broke to Vaulks on he edge. His drive seemed to ricochet of a flailing arm of Scott Agnew but no penalty as given despite the crowd’s protests and the me lee only ceased when Vaulks was tripped on the edge of the box and Alston fired he free kick high over the bar.

Baird went close again on 62 minutes when he found space and forced Rogers to push the ball over the bar.

The Bairns put more moves together in an attacking sense but couldn’t find the target, but Dumbarton did with nine minutes to go.

Falkirk were complaining of a throw awarded to the Sons when the home side switched play to their left wing and Archie Campbell fired an unstoppable 25 harder into the top corner and gave Jamie McDonald no chance.

Immediately Peter Houston threw Alex Cooper and David Smith on for Blair Alston and Taylor Morgan but the changes had limited time to make impact.

Baird squandered a good late chance by firing across goal and spurned the final chance his busy shift merited. Alex zoo per gave Rogers a later scare when his shot squirmed out of the goalkeeper’s grasp but he re-gathered before Bird could seize the loose ball.

Defeat means the Bairns have failed to make ground on Queen of the South in fourth. The Doonhamers lost to league champions Hearts.

Dumbarton: Rogers, Wilson, Graham, Taggart, Turner, Agnew, Fleming, Campbell, Gilhaney, Megginson.

Falkirk: MacDonald, Duffie, McCracken, Leahy, P.Grant, Kerr, Vaulks, Alston, Morgan, Baird.