Dumbarton 0 Falkirk 3 : Bairns turn on the style

Rory Loy
Rory Loy

Free-flowing Falkirk faced Dumbarton in front of a depleted crowd at Dumbarton.

Falkirk fans elected to stay away from the game in protest at the SPFL scheduling of the match at 5.30 p.m. and another late kick-off next Saturday.

But the BBC Alba cameras were there to relay the action back to the bars and homes in central Scotland and those who watched live or on screen saw an excelent performance from the Bairns.

Dumbarton made a game of it with a second-half rally but goals from Rory Loy, Blair Alston and a stunner from Craig Sibbald extended Falkirk’s winning run to five games.

Botti Biabi asked the first question of Danny Rogers with a shot on 10 minutes that stung the palms of the goalkeeper, but he was beaten shortly afterwards with an excellent goal from the Bairns.

Will Vaulks fed the ball to Blair Alston and a battling run, fortuitous at times and the ball bobbled favourably, he tee’d up Rory Loy for the sort of fiunish that comes naturally to the forward.

Falkirk were simply playing for keeps and the pressing game was reaping dividends. Craig Sibbald’s corners were utilised frequently and Jamie MacDonald uneccessary until he clutched a Colin Nish header which was well directed but without the pace to trouble the Falkirk goalkeeper.

The Bairns could have been two up through numerous chances, but like the Livingston match a week previous, for all the slick play - and there was ots of it - the Bairns only had one goal to show.

They could have had two when a combinatoion of Tom Taiwo and a Sons defender sent a Craig Sibbald corner onto the line but it was scrambled away by David van Zanten.

Will Vaulks had a fierce 30 yard blast by Rogers, who, unlike his Falkirk counterpart was often required to keep the scores low.

There were more chances for Loy, Sibbald, Vaulks, Alston and, belying some of the confidence oozing from the Bairns, an overhead kick from Craig Sibbald.

MacDonald was not a spectator though as shots from Chris Kane and Steven McDougall went close to goal really the goalkeeper was untroubled throughout the first half.

Seven minutes after the restart though the gulf between the sides was still significant but the scoreline wasn’t.

Indeed it was almost level when a corner kick was not cleared and a blast at goal from Scott Taggart had beaten Jamie MacDonald but a hopeful foot thrust in an attempted block was enough for Luke Leahy to divert the ball wide.

The left-back was the hero on the hour-mark when he sliced the ball off the line following Mitch Megginson’s shot. Jamie MacDonald had come for a cross he couldn’t reach and the left-back was back to cover and maintain the Bairns’ slender advantage.

The Sons began to overrun the midfielder around the hour-mark and the chances followed but still the Bairns kept them out - Kieran Duffie made a vital block on Scott Agnew then another to cut out a low cross Jamie MacDonald had missed and the goalkeeper gathered the rebound, and Falkirk held on.

They calmed the nerves with ten min utes to go when a determined charge forward from Alston, Loy and Sibbald was finished by Alston in a reverse order of the opener.

The ici ng on the Christmas cake was a cracking thump from Sibbald when the Bairns broke and Loy knocked the ball to Sibbald and it was fired with impudence into the top corner from the edge of the box.