Bairns snatch point at Dens Park

Share this article

Falkirk chapped the door constantly at Dens Park and it was finally answered with a 93rd minute equaliser to grab a late share of the spoils at Dundee.

The home side was attempting to run the clock down with substitutions in injury time but it back-fired with an unlikely goal from Luke Leahy.

With time running out Rory Loy crossed from the left and the ball was hooked at goal by Blair Alston. It was way off-target and struck the unwitting Leahy on the head and sneaked inside the post to cancel out Ryan Conroy’s first half penalty.

Falkirkspurned plenty of chances - as did the home side - in an entertaining game.

The Bairns’ unchanged side was bright, as was the sunlight they faced in attack. Phil Roberts in particular made a good start to the game, forcing a save from Letheren early on, and as is becoming the norm, Rory Loy covered a vast proportion of the pitch, digging deep to the defence at times.

But it was the home side who edged a lively first half with a penalty kick from Ryan Conroy after his shot at goal was blocked by Will Vaulks’ arm.

Within a minute, the Bairns came close - twice - to equalising. Gary Irvine’s defensive header was misread by Kyle Letheren and slid towards the net before Iain Davidson hurried back and scooped it off the goal-line.

The Bairns kept up the pressure and had the ball voer the line through Conor McGerandles but Stevie O’Reilly ruled the effort out for offside.

An excellent run from Roberts as half-time approached sent him into the box and a cut-back to Loy gave the prolific forward a great chance and though he managed to put the ball between the goalkeeper’s legs, the Dundee man did enough to block.

A brave block from Kieran Duffie blocked a Jim McAlister drive for Dundee after a good passing play from John Brown’s side. The attack for the home side was as troublesome for Vaulks and David McCracken as Roberts and Loy were at the opposite end, with the Dundee pair of Peter MacDonald and Connor Wighton hovering on the shoulders of the defenders.

Falkirk’s touches were at times heavy but a congested midfield area - that continued in the second half - meant it was only when the play was stretched either side played their more attractive passages.

It was the same in the second half when Falkirk could have got the equaliser they desparately pressed for when a clever pass from the left by Loy released Roberts who beat the offside trap. Alston - on as a substitute for Craig Sibbald - galloped on to support but Roberts went alone and forced a good save from Letheren who batted the ball out for a corner. A shot on the turn by Vaulks at the set-piece was blocked by McAlister - and certainly hit his arm - but no penalty was given by Stevie O’Reilly whose positioning might not have allowed him to see the offence.

But Falkirk went closer, Jay Fulton hit the outside of the post from an acute angle when he cut in from the left and a shot on the turn by another sub, Johnny Flynn, was blocked at point blank range by Letheren.

Kieran Duffie was forced off with a cut to his eyebrow and Conor McGrandles switched to right-back with Leahy in the middle.

Falkirk’s attempts at finding the equaliser were proving futile and the ‘Dee almost put the tie to bed with a breakaway and a snapshot from Riley on 79 minutes that Michael McGovern’s fingertips managed to push away from goal.

The final chance fell for the Bairns and it looked set to end in the net with Luke Leahy drifting into the box to meet Loy’s lofted pass to the back-post. The substitute met it, but from three yards out managed to put the ball over the bar before his dramatic finale.