Bairns see off Stirling to join Warriors and the Shire in Ramsdens Cup second round

Share this article

Striker Lyle Taylor helped Falkirk make a successful start to defending the Ramsdens Cup.

Stirling Albion had no answer to the Bairns’ three goals, with two coming from hotshot Taylor.

Intermittent torrential downpours slicked the Falkirk Stadium’s surface but Falkirk found controlling the ball in the final third difficult, more down to Stirling’s eight-man plus goalkeeper defensive wall camped out infront of the penalty box.

The made passing breaks from their encampment, but rarely troubled Michael McGovern after first testing him inside the first minute.

Just 11 seconds had gone when Mark Ferry thumped the ball at goal and forced the goalkeeper into a save. The only other chance Albion had was a Ferry header that his team-mate Graham Weir blocked on the line.

Falkirk were restricted to long shots, pinging strikes from 20 yards or more.

Craig Sibbald sliced one over, Lyle Taylor screwed one wide and Andy Haworth saw one gathered by Sam Filler before Kieran Duffie broke the deadlock on 35 minutes.

He sidestepped two challenges after receiving Jay Fulton’s pass and thumped the ball high into the net from 16 yards.

It was enough to give the Bairns the interval lead and they added to it quickly afterwards.Everything Lyle Tyalor touches seems to turn to gold for the Falkirk hitman and he mishit a shot on 51 minutes that slithered past Filler from 20 yards.

He had another a few minutes later as he steered a Luke Leahy corner beyond Filler on the volley.

The Bairns cruised for the remainder and should have added a fourth when Jonny Flynn connected to another Leahy corner but he headed straight at the Binos’ keeper.

Elsewhere there was further positive news for the district’s Ramsdens Cup hopefuls as Stenhousemuir won in Stranraer and East Stirlingshire provided the shock of the round, knocking out last season’s League Cup semi-finalists Ayr United 3-1 at Ochilview.