Bairns in the hat after Dunfermline are defeated

Phil Roberts scored a hat-trick on his last league outing for Falkirk
Phil Roberts scored a hat-trick on his last league outing for Falkirk

Falkirk are through to the third round of the League Cup after edging past rivals Dunfermline 2-1.

A Callum Morris own goal and a smooth strike from Jay Fulton helped the Bairns go a seventh game unbeaten this season.

Jordan Moore had equalised his team-mate’s earlier mistake, but Fulton was again to the fore in this competition - he was the Bairns hero in this competition two seasons ago by scoring an equaliser against Celtic at Hampden.

Dunfermline had made most of the early running and perhaps should have had a goal, when Moore shrugged off Duffie to enter the area but scuffed a shot wide.

Duffie though was the provider for the opener, passing inside off the right wing to Jay Fulton who returned the one-two with a pass that sliced the Pars defence open and released Duffie unchallenged behind the back four. He pulled his run to allow Sibbald to catch up into the six yard box and sent a low cross in for the 18-year-old. It didn’t reach it’s target as Callum Morris slid in at the near post and diverted it behind Ryan Scyully.

The goalkeeper had already been tested though, blocking an earlier Phil Roberts attempt after the frontman had nodded a Blair Alston long ball over Luke Johnston and breezing beyond the defender into the area only for the Dunfermline number one to stop him in his tracks.

The goal was slightly fortunate for the Bairns, and the leveller for the Pars could not be begrudged. Infact Falkirk didn’t seem to eithyer when Moore was given the space to steer the ball beyond McGovern on 28 minutes.

The Bairsn switched off to let the PArs level, and their state continued and the Pars almost went ahead when Ryan Wallace flashed a shot from the edge of the box narrowly wide a minuyte later.

The second goal did come, but for Falkirk and again it was clever passing involving Fulton that got them there.

The midfielder ghosted in behind the defence and was picked out by an excllenet pass from Sibbald. Fulton still had a task to score, but cooly moved towards the net band tucked the ball in past Scully.

Agian though, the Pars could have levelled. A point-blank header at the front post was blocked by McGovern and fell at the goalkeeper’s feet. Thomson followed up buyt somehow the keeper made a second reactionary save to negotiate the ball out from under his feet and the ball was cleared to safety.

Similar followed after the break when the Bairns defence and Ollie Durojaiye threw themselves at Jordan Moore and Thomson’s efforts on 62 minutes.

The decent crowd of 3663 was being well rewarded for their attendance with an entertaining game, and it was certainly fiercely fought.

Ross Millen was booked for a dangerous two-footed lunge on Roberts,

But in the second half the fans with most value were the visitors, with the Pars shooting into the north, away end of The Falkirk Stadium.

The Bairns scrambled a Jordan Moore effort away and were constantly on the back-foot, but held out. Josh Falkingham should have done better from a great position on 72 minutes, finding himslef supported by Moore 12 yards out, but the ex-St Johnstone man fired high and wide of McGovern’s goal. Stephen Husband also spurned a great chance ten minutes from the end as the Bairns invited more and more pressure on but held on.

Gary Holt pitched Johnny Flynn in for the final two minutes of his recovery from injury sustained in the pre-season firendly at East End Park.

The draw for the third round is on Thursday morning.