Bairns back on their travels after Dumfries abandonment

Bairns boss Gary Holt looks on through the Palmerston rain
Bairns boss Gary Holt looks on through the Palmerston rain

The decision to abandon Falkirk’s match against Queen of the South might not have pleased the Bairns travelling support, but it was judged to be the correct move by the majority of those watching from the press box.

Heraldsport’s Falkirk columnist, The Benchman, was at Palmerston alongside sports editor David Oliver, and believes that the high wind speeds battering much of the country should have been considered before officals gave the green light for the match to ahead - especially as other fixtures in the south of Scotland had already been abandoned.

“Several Falkirk fans suspected that the game might not go the distance,” he said.

“The match at Annan was already off, and there was a howling gale coming right across from the Terregles Street end.

“Passes went astray and the ball wasn’t running true.

“Player safety is paramount and there was a real danger of someone getting hurt in tackles or going for headers when the ball just held up in the air.

“When Queens’ Kevin Dzierzawski tackled Mark Millar, referee Iain Brines realised that the timing was misplaced due to the wind.

“He walked over to the two managers and explained his intention to abandon the game. He was right to call a halt.”

The Queen of the South match will now be replayed on Saturday, February 8, 2014, at 3 p.m., when other clubs will turn their attentions to the Scottish Cup.

This weekend, the Bairns travel to take on Greenock Morton at Cappielow. The Ton have endured a miserable season so far and remain rooted to the bottom of the Championship table.

But Bairns boss Gary Holt will be wary of the Inverclyde team as they have a new manager in the dugout - one known for his motivational skills.

Former Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shields has now taken charge at Cappielow and will be looking for a response from his new players.