Another cash delay for Bairns as Rowan signs on ahead of Partick clash

Falkirk lost out to Dumbarton at home on Tuesday and face champions-elect Partick this weekend.
Falkirk lost out to Dumbarton at home on Tuesday and face champions-elect Partick this weekend.

Money due to Falkirk has still not been paid by Bradford City.

The cash, awarded to the Bairns by FIFA for the transfer of Mark Stewart in July 2011, should total more than £200,000.

However, the English League Two club has contested FIFA’s decision and forwarded the issue to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The matter, which arose regarding training compensation, could take up to three months to resolve.

The case is now a direct one between Bradford and FIFA, with no Falkirk input required.

Meanwhile, Gary Holt made his first signing as Falkirk manager as right-back Liam Rowan penned a new deal.

A contract for the defender had been on the table since before Steven Pressley left the club and was finally agreed on Monday.

Holt pitched Rowan into the team that was beaten 3-1 by Dumbarton on Tuesday evening.

Rowan told Heraldsport: “I was delighted to sign. I spoke to the new manager last week about it, and he knew the situation and wanted me to sign.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with him recently - he is preaching hard work, and that’s something I like.

“My first impression of him has been good.”

The right-back impressed on his debut against Cowdenbeath and fared well against his hometown team Dumbarton.

“I think a few people in the away support knew me,” he continued.

Rowan was one of only six Falkirk players who started Tuesday’s match that have contracts keeping them at Falkirk beyond next month.

This Saturday, Falkirk take on Partick Thistle at Westfield in a game that is likely to draw a huge away support.

The Glasgow side only need to avoid defeat to be crowned First Division champions, and are expected bring up to 4000 fans.

The Falkirk Stadium will be divided in two to accommodate the expected crowd.

A club statement said: “On the advice of police, the club has decided to allocate a section of the Main Stand to overspill of the Partick Thistle supporters.

“The club apologises to fans who will have to move and hope they understand the position in this matter.”