Alloa 1Falkirk 3: Goals light up match

Falkirk were on good form heading to Recreation Park
Falkirk were on good form heading to Recreation Park
  • Leahy rocket gave Falkirk the lead
  • Second half strikes from Baird and Cooper restored lead
  • Bairns remain one point behind QoS

Four high quality goals lit up an otherwise disappointing match, but Falkirk will be happy with the points.

The Bairns were far from their best but ground out the victory through goals from Luke Leahy, John Baird and Alex Cooper.

Kerr did the right things quickly, yet never seemed rushed.

Leahy’s was the pick of the bunch, finding the top corner with a stunning half volley to put the Bairns on course for the victory - but it was a rocky uncertain ride.

Rory Loy missed the game after failing to recover from his knock that caused his late substitution at Palmerston last week.

Aside from that switch, which restored John Baird to the starting team, it was the same side which saw off Queen of the South.

Surprisingly for some Luke Leahy was included and he repaid the close medical attention he’d been given this week with a wonder-strike to give the Bairns the half-time lead.

That came on 16 minutes, but the Bairns could easily have been behind had it not been for Jamie MacDonald as early as the second minute.

The goalkeeper was down quick to beat a free header from ex-Bairn Jason Marr.

Liam Buchanan also mflashed a shot across goal to threaten but the before MacDonald pulled opff a terrific sto[p for the cameras by leaping to the top corner and pushing out a Ryan McCord drive for a corner after a horrible mistake by Kieran Duffie.

However his blushes were spared by his keeper and his opposite full-back who lashed the ball into the top corner on 16 minutes.

Duffie had won a corner and Blair Alston took the set-piece deep to the far side of the penalty area where Leahy lurked and thumped a terrific half volley into the top corner.

Marr had another effort for Alloa on the turn that could have been a penalty as it struck Duffie’s arm but ref Matt Northcroft waved away the claims.

After the break the Bairns were brighter but still not at their best, but they still ground out the victory after conceding ten minutes into the second half.

Leahy miscued a shot from a corner that Peter Grant helped on from close range but somehow steered the ball wide when it was easier to score, just like he had done last week in Dumfries.

Then Alloa drew level with a strike just as thrilling as Leahy’s opener. Captain David McCracken’s headed clearance fell nicely for Kevin cawley and he sent a dipping strike from 25 yards over Jamie MacDonald and just under the crossbar.

Peter Houston immediately changed it up with Taylor Morgan on for David Smith and Mark Kerr replacing Blair Alston soon after.

The switch made a big difference and Kerr did the right things quickly, yet never seemed rushed.

The speed of attack changed and a swift move from MacDonald, to Sibbald to Kerr then Morgan should have brought a goal. But the strike did come with ten minutes to go when Morgan drew the defence towards him and gave Baird plenty of space. Vaulks found him and a very composed strike gave the Bairns the lead.

Sibbald’s low cross late on was seized by another of the subs - Alex Cooper - who stabbed in to make sure the points were safe.

Baird had another chance late on but it just sneaked over the bar and into the away terracing.

Alloa: McDowall, Meggat, Doyle, Gordon, Marr, Docherty, Layne (Spence 54, Rutherford 67), McCord, Cawley, Holmes (Roberts 78), Buchanan. Subs: Tiffoney, Benedictus, Flannigan, Gibson.

Falkirk: MacDonald, Duffie, Leahy, McCracken, Vaulks, Taiwo (Cooper 77), Grant, Alston (Kerr 64), Smith (Morgan 58), Sibbald, Baird. Subs: Dick, Maybury, Biabi, Bowman.