Falkirk 2 Rotherham 2: Bairns held at home

12-09-2012. Picture Michael Gillen. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. Falkirk Football Club 2013 - 2014 season. Team picture. Falkirk FC FFC. Botti Bia-Bi 30.
12-09-2012. Picture Michael Gillen. FALKIRK. Falkirk Stadium. Falkirk Football Club 2013 - 2014 season. Team picture. Falkirk FC FFC. Botti Bia-Bi 30.

Both sides left it late to find the net in a hard-working stalkemate at The Falkirk Stadium.

The match will be remembered for a screamer of a goal from second-half captain Ollie Durojaiye after seven minutes when he found the top corner from about 30 yards.

It was a sensational strike only cancelled out by a freak goal at the other end in a fairly uneventful first half.

Late on Conor Newton seemed to have won it for the Millers only for Botti Biabi to equalise with the last kick of the ball.

Falkirk, for all the changes off the field over the summer, looked fairly comfortable in this - their second friendly match and first at home under Peter Houston.

Set-up in a 4-2-3-1 with Rory Loy up front and supported by Conor McGrandles, Blair Alston and new signing Alex Cooper the Bairns knew their routes to goal, but rarely found their way to Scott Loach in the away goal.

Durojaiye was paired with Tom Taiwo in the holding midfield positions and another new signing Alan Maybury putting in a competent shift at right-back.

The surprise package of the night was the performance of left-back Liam Dick who made some brave charges forward and almost scored after beating four men in a first-half burst.

But it was Durojaiye who beat Loach from quite a distance on seven minutes and gave the Bairns the lead, though Kieran Agard equalised __ 15 minutes later.

A cross from Ryan Hall on Rotherham’s left eluded Will Vaulks’ leap with Asgard then bounced over David McCracken’s head. It left Jordan Bowery with an easy header - as he’s find himself with in the second half – but he failed to scored. He nodded off the bar and quickest to react was Asgard who hooked the ball over Macdonald in the confusion of the six-yard area.

Dick then hit the side netting in a burst forward and in another crossed for Conor McGrandles to volley over as the first half finished level.

David McCracken was replaced by Ryan McGeever at the break and within ten minutes Alex Cooper was off and Scott Shepherd made his return from injury.

The youngster should have scored on 69 minutes when he ran half the field but was eventually caught by Craig Morgan who cleared the danger.

Rotherham had their own chance to win when MacDonald foiled Asgard but Bowery with the rebound headed inches wide of the net.

The latter stages were littered with substitutions as Houston ran his bench of youngsters and a chilly wind picked up.

The Bairns were then playing very much on the break and one from Shepherd and another from Alston supported by sub Botti Bia-bi failed to bring a goal, but did lure Steve Evans out of his seat for the final ten minutes.

In that time he watched Agard round Jamie McDonald but roll his shot against the post before Conor Newton edged the Millers ahead it with a lovely curled finish across Jamie McDonald on 88 minutes.

But it wasn’t to be as Botti Bia-bi prodded in a late equaliser on the 90th minute.