Falkirk 2 Alloa 0: Bairns pass Hibs

Falkirk moved second with a comfortable win over bottom side Alloa.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 5th March 2016, 7:45 pm
Updated Saturday, 5th March 2016, 8:48 pm
Mark Kerr celebrates after netting Falkirk's second goal
Mark Kerr celebrates after netting Falkirk's second goal

Paul Watson and Mark kerr gave the Bairns the lead at half-time and they did not look like conceding it after the interval.

Alloa caused problems for the Bairns backline in the first half, and though Falkirk had the majority of the play and chances, the Wasps threatened aerially. Danny Rogers though maintained the Bairns’ 13th clean sheet of the season.

Falkirk made a much brighter start than in recent weeks and Craig Sibbald in particular was the spark down the left flank, and Blair Alston was maintaining his good form with Kilmarnock in the stands watching the midfielder.

Sign up to our daily The Falkirk Herald Today newsletter

Alston went close to opening the scoring, nipping to steal possession unnoticed and running in on Scott Gallacher’s goal, but the goalkeeper smothered. The keeper also made a save from Sibbald, and couldn’t handle the ball before Dougie Hill tapped out to ease the danger.

At Alston’ s corner, David McCracken powered a header on goal that struck Bob McHugh in the six-yard box. It caused a stramash and John Baird’s effort among it was blocked on the line by Connor McManus.

However another corner from Alston brought the opener and Paul Watson rose highest to nod the Bairns infront on 26 minutes.

Bob McHugh went close to doubling the advantage shortly afterwards, pulling a lofted pass from Sibbald out the sky with an excellent touch and shooting straight at Gallacher. The frontman did though play a key role in the second.

Mark Kerr made two clearing nheader from an Alloa corner and Falkirk broke forward. McHugh chased a lost cause to the touch-line and salvaged possession, squaring acrossfield to the on-rushing Alston. A cushioned first touch fell perfectly for Kerr to stroke a side-foot into the top corner from the edge of the area.

It was an excellent goal from Falkirk, but a tackle from Sibbald aimed at winning back possession contrived to play in Mitch Megginson shortly before half-time. With a clear run on goal he entered the box but Danny Rogers ushered him wide and the shot hit the side-netting.

After the break Falkirk put more pressure on the Wasps backline as Paul Watson’s header hit the post before being gathered by Gallacher.

McHugh had another two gilt-edged chances in front of goal, before being replaced by Lee Miller who missed one of his own with a header.

The Bairns saw out the match passing Alloa into surrender with prolonged possession play and eased ahead of Hibs, who play in the Scottish Cup tomorrow.

Att: 3774 (96 away)