Falkirk 1-0 Cove Rangers: Morrison's early second half goal secures big three points for Bairns

It’s been said plenty but in a shortened season every game is crucial no matter how early.

Saturday, 21st November 2020, 5:25 pm
Callumn Morrison knocked in Anton Dowds' cross early in the second half and that was enough as Falkirk beat Cove Rangers 1-0
Callumn Morrison knocked in Anton Dowds' cross early in the second half and that was enough as Falkirk beat Cove Rangers 1-0

This may have only been the fifth league match of the season for Falkirk but it feels like a absolutely massive result.

Had they lost Cove would have opened up a seven point lead at the top but, thankfully, they didn’t and now the Bairns are just one point behind former gaffer Paul Hartley’s new club and have ended their 100 percent start to the campaign.

It was a game where the visitors probably had the better of the opening 30 minutes, their impressive attacking duo of Rory McAllister and Mitch Megginson getting in behind the defenders regularly and both had half chances early on with Ben Hall making a last ditch tackle to prevent McAllister.

GOAL FALKIRK! Callumn Morrison opens the scoring.

Falkirk thought they had taken the lead after the half hour mark when Anton Dowds got a shot away which forced Cove goalie MacKenzie in to a decent save.

Callumn Morrison put in the rebound but the flag went up for ofside as the Bairns celebrated.

The home side had improved in the final 15 minutes and taken control of the game and they carried that in to the second half and were rewarded early on.

Dowds played in a beautiful cross from the right channel and Morrison connected at the back post, sliding in to knock the ball home.

Co-managers Lee Miller and David McCracken celebrate the goal

A great way to cap off the week for the former Hearts winger who on Friday singed a one year extension.

One of many criticisms Paul Hartley’s Falkirk team faced was a lack of fitness – they could start strong but not finish that way and that quality was on display again from Cove in this game.

Sammon, Dowds and Morrison all had chances to end the game in the final 30 minutes and both Morrison and Dowds hit the woodwork.

It made for a nervy finish to the match and, although they had not been at the races all second half, Cove nearly snatched a late point when Leighton McIntosh dragged a low shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box on 90 minutes.

Thankfully though Falkirk weren’t punished for not putting the game to bed and were able to secure all three points.