Camelon do deliver in a seven goal thriller

Camelon 4, Carnoustie Panmure 3

Thursday, 1st March 2018, 9:41 am
Updated Thursday, 1st March 2018, 10:47 am

The sun shone and so did Camelon as they came from behind to secure victory in this high scoring thriller.

Before kick off, a minute’s silence was held in memory of committe member Robin Hulet and lifelong fan Alex Marshall, both of whom sadly passed away recently.

Despite a heavy overnight frost, Carmuirs Park passed a morning inspection and despite some of the Carnoustie connections expressing concern over the playing pitch they saw their favourites get off to a flying start. With 13 minutes played The Gowfers were in front when the luckless Ryan Lockie headed Pat Martin’s cross into his own net. Martin was proving a hot handful for the Camelon defence and midway through the first half he cut inside before curling a great shot into the far corner of the net to double the visitors’ advantage.

With manager Gordon Herd unavailable, his assistant Eamon Fullerton was in charge and he saw his troops hit back within three minutes when Lewis Small got the final touch in a packed six yard box. This goal seemed to put fresh wind in the Mariners’ sails and within another five minutes they were back level when Alan Sneddon got on the end of a Ryan Kane shot to find the net.

In the 54th minute it was Camelon’s turn for the lead when a quick throw in caught the visitors out and Sneddon took full advantage to tee up Ryan to score at the near post. The Gowfers’ response was immediate. It took a string of fine saves by Dean Shaw to keep them at bay and the Camelon keeper saw his heroics rewarded in the 73rd minute when the tireless Sneddon took advantage of some slack defending to net his second.

Following this Carnoustie went into all out attack. But they found Shaw in outstanding form and had no luck either when a well struck effort came back off the Camelon crossbar. With four minutes remaining the Gowfers at last made the breakthrough when Steven Cook’s shot took a wicked deflection off the impressive Don Morrison.

That set up a nervy end to the game but Camelon held out for victory in this their first home game since last November.