Both Falkirk Ladies sides in cup draw proper

Falkirk Ladies Nicole McPhee, Claire Scott & Lyndsay Hopper celebrate after all scoring in Scottish cup win vs Paisley Saints St Mirren
Falkirk Ladies Nicole McPhee, Claire Scott & Lyndsay Hopper celebrate after all scoring in Scottish cup win vs Paisley Saints St Mirren
Share this article

Falkirk Ladies progressed to the Scottish Cup proper with a 5-1 preliminary round win over Paisley Saints yesterday.

They were joined by the club’s reserves side who defeated the second-string from Hutchison Vale at Stirling.

The first team got off to a perfect start in Renfrewshire on 11 minutes when Rebecca Robertson put pressure on the home defence causing the ball to drop to striker Jade Gallon who blasted in the opener.

Falkirk doubled their lead just before half-time and this time scorer Gallon turned provider as she made a great driving run and crossed perfectly for Rachel Donaldson to slot low into the corner.

The second half started well for Falkirk as they immediately extended their lead when Robertson saw the Paisley goalie off her line and lobbed into the goal from 20 yards out but the Paisley team kept battling hard and forced a corner, scoring a goal to make it 1-3. This has been the weakness of the Falkirk Ladies team this season as they have lost many goals from corners.

With 10 minutes left of the game Rebecca Robertson scored her second of the game after she followed in on a rebound from an Emma Lyons shot. Very much in control of this game from the start, but being made to work for every goal it looked as though Falkirk were already in the draw for the first round proper but with a few minutes remaining substitute Nicole Pullar made it five after a neat chip over the keeper left her unable to keep the ball out of the net.

The game ended 5-1 to Falkirk and it was a solid performance from the team.

The team now has a fortnight break until their next home league game on Sunday, May 11 when they welcome Aberdeen Reserves.

The reserves had been on an unbeaten run of games since the start of the season and they continued this streak yesterday by winning 5-2. Lyndsay Hopper opened the scoring from the penalty spot before Nicoel McPhee doubled the lead.

Falkirk’s third goal was the best of the match when midfielder Claire Scott picked up the ball in the centre circle and rode out two tackles, played a one-two with Gemma Dawson and drove her shot home from the left-hand edge of the box past the diving keeper.

Hutchie reduced the deficit before the break but on the 62nd minute Falkirk struck again with another shot from the edge of the box, this time it was Sophie Wardle after a great cross from Gemma Dawson.

Again Hutchie fought back and drew another free kick which was whipped into the box and their striker headed home a fantastic header to make the score 4-2. But Falkirk kept their heads and Nicole McPhee got her second of the match as she looped a ball over the stranded Hutchie goalkeeper to make the final score 5-2.

Falkirk Reserves join their first team in the draw for the next round but are back on league duty next Sunday when they face Kirkintilloch Rob Roy at Dunipace Juniors.