Falkirk sick in second after County triple whammy

Ross County have had a week of illness, but Falkirk left Dingwall sick

this evening after a humbling 3-1 defeat.

Goals from Stuart Kettlewell, Michael Gardyne and Gary Miller saw off the brave Bairns who fought well into the final ten minutes before

being over-shadowed by the team at the top of the table.

For long periods of the game, little could separate the sides, but County were clinical when given the chances and they beat Michael McGovern three times.

The game started in the worst possible fashion for Falkirk as Ross County took the lead after just three minutes. Scott Boyd flicked on a

Richard Brittain corner on and Stuart Kettlewell knocked in a rare header for the hosts.

It was not the start Steven Pressley was looking for after taking his side to Aviemore overnight, but they responded just seven minutes later.

On the stroke of the tenth minute a Mark Millar free-kick was headed across goal by Farid El Alagui and turned in by Murray Wallace.

After the Bairns levelled the game was anyone's, and each team proved themselves worthy of topping this division.

Farid El Alagui should hae given Falkirk the lead with a diving header from a wonderful Tam Scobbie cross, but he ruffled the side-netting, on the wrong side of the post.

Kettlewell equally had a great chance to turn in a cross from Michael Gardyne, but was foiled by a brave tackle on the line by joint Phenomenal Irn Bru player of the month Darren Dods.

David Weatherston spurned another great chance for Falkirk before half-time but the play flowed end to end with neither side truly profiting.

David Somers too, as referee, was proving an opponent, whistling for the most meticulous of points and cautioning players readily.

After half-time, and Ross County replaced Iain Vigurs with ROcco Quinn, Ross County again took the lead.

Richard Britain hit the post from open play, then again from a free kick, earned by himself after a challenge by David Weatherston.

The Falkirk man was livid at the award, right in the centre of the park, and possibly knew what was coming.

Brittain whipped the set-piece off McGovern's post and while Falkirk failed to react, Gardyne swept the ball beyond McGovern.

Farid El Alagui claimed the ball had been blocked by Gardyne on the edge of the box with a hand after 55 minutes, but no award was given by Somers.

Likewise, there were no tskers for an excelent right wing cross by sub Jay Fulton, replacing Blair Alston.

Murdoch went close with an acrobatic effort to Wallace's knock-down. The game was over on 83 minuts though as Gary Miller rifled in a shot after being felled by Wallace off the ball. The Staggies right back didn't know much about the play as the ball fell kindly for him but rifled the ball into the top corner as soon as he was on his feet.

It was enough to see the Stags go six points clear at the top, but Falkirk remain in second place.