Falkirk show the way ahead

FALKIRK got off to the perfect start for the new league campaign when they locked horns with the equally-ambitious Garnock.



SHE Premier Three

The match began with fierce forward exchanges with neither pack taking a backward step. It was a busy time for the referee as a rash of penalties were conceded by both sets of players.

Falkirk's David Adamson was first on the scoreboard after five minutes, converting a penalty awarded against Garnock for handling on the ground.

Even the visitors' talented McRorie twins could find no way through Falkirk's solid midfield defence and were reduced to a series of speculative kicks in an attempt to press forward their attacks.

Falkirk's back three of Parsons, Drake and Harris thrived on the unexpected possession and launched potent counter attacks from deep in their half.

Three of Falkirk's five tries were scored in this fashion, the first of which came after 13 minutes.

Harris fielded a kick and broke clear. Good support play from the forwards saw the move end with Cameron Drake touching down in the right hand corner.

Drake returned the compliment to set-up try number two.

A surging run from his own 22 dragged the cover defence towards the right touchline. David Damson threw out a long cross field pass which switched the point of attack to the sparsely-defended left wing, where the predatory Harris was able to score.

As half-time approached the Garnock no. eight attempted to run the ball out of defence only to meet a brick wall in the form of Casey Gibson.

The resulting impact sprung the ball and probably had the seismologists checking their instruments.

Scrum-half Mark Bruce plucked the ball out of the air and scampered under the post for his first score as a Falkirk player.

With Adamson's conversion of all three scores Falkirk went into the second half with a 24-0 lead.

After the break the home side enjoyed long periods of near total domination and it was to Garnock's credit that they only conceded a further two tries.

After 15 minutes of the second period, Allan Pudney generated a quick turnover ball on the half-way line and it had been transferred through several pairs of hands, Drake scored again from out wide.

Adamson missed the conversion attempt from a difficult angle.

The final score was an action replay of the first two.

Chris Harris rounded off a move which had taken Falkirk the length of the field. Forwards and backs combined well throughout and Adamson added the final points for a bonus-winning score of 36 points.

Next Saturday, September 5, Falkirk take to the road to meet with Ardrossan.

Team bus departs at 11.20am to allow for the expected traffic congestion.