Fury girls seal deal with brace

Fury’S under-18 girls team became the 2010-11 Scottish National League Champions after back-to- back wins over Edinburgh clubs.

in two days they saw off Polonia Phoenix and Kool Kats.

Fury’s talented juniors – a squad that includes six Scotland internationals went on to defeat league runners-up St.Mirren 59-51 in the Scottish Cup semi-final in Paisley.

An amazing four day spell that sees the girls with a chance of three National titles, the league, cup and the newly formed Play-Off championships of which the girls are in semi-finals.

Five of this outstanding team are also looking to record their fifth straight Scottish Schools title with Falkirk High at the quarter final stage.

The first part of the back to back league wins that took the Fury team to the title was against a young but talented Polonia team who themselves boast a number of internationals.

In a dour first quarter Fury just edged Polonia but a poor second quarter saw Phoenix lead by seven.

It was not until the third quarter that Fury really got going with an 18-10 spell, that gave them a one point lead going into the final stanza.

The atmosphere was tense as it came down to the final seconds. However the teams could not be split in normal time, tied at 48 apiece.

In overtime, the experience and character of Fury came through taking the game 54-50. Claire Straiton was Falkirk’s top scorer.

The following day the girls returned to Edinburgh knowing a win against long time rivals Kool Kats would give them the title minus, top scorer Claire Straiton.

It was tense again and with two minutes on the clock Jenna Beattie faced two crucial free throws to take Fury ahead by four.

Both dropped and a six point win gave Fury the title and confirmed their status as Scotland’s top junior girls team.

Meanwhile Clark Eriksson Fury’s cadet men crashed out of the Scottish cup on overtime after the fifth period blank by Edinburgh Kings.

After finishing 60-60 Kings scored 15 points to progress.

A cruel injury to key three-point shooter Lee Mathews and point guard Ian Rooney fouling out in the final minutes of normal time compounded the misery.

These, coupled with key misses like a lay up that would have put Fury 10 up with four minutes to play.

Continued below