If you lost money on Flybe flights you can try these finance tricks to get it back

The sudden collapse of regional airline Flybe has left thousands of travellers stranded and out of pocket.

Scotland’s Loganair has agreed to run flights on some of Flybe’s former routes, but many customers are more concerned about getting their money back.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Martin Lewis, founder of Money Saving Expert, told Good Morning Britain viewers how they could reclaim their cash after the Flybe collapse.

‘Ask for the money back’

"The first thing I'd be looking to do is a chargeback, which is where you ask your debit or credit card provider to go to Flybe and ask for the money back,” Lewis told the programme’s hosts.

"If you've paid on a credit card and paid over £100, you have rights under section 75 and can get your money back by asking your card provider, but they prefer to do a chargeback, so try that first.”

He also had tips for travellers stuck with other travel charges, like hotel room bookings.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"If you've had knock on costs, like a hotel that you can no longer get to, you might be able to claim on your travel insurance, if you have specific scheduled airline failure cover,” the finance expert advised.

"If both of those fail, you can go to the financial ombudsman and they will usually help you to get your cash back.”

What is the chargeback scheme?

Using the chargeback scheme, people can tell their bank to return funds that were initially paid into a trader’s account. Customers can apply if they did not receive goods or services they paid for, as well as if the goods were damaged or not as advertised.

Although not enshrined in law, most banks participate in the chargeback scheme, which works on both debit and credit card payments.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Traders can dispute the chargeback with the bank if they have evidence that it was invald.

What is Section 75?

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act (1974) allows credit card users to claim back payments if a trader breaches their contract. The value of the goods or services that you can claim for must be over £100, and less than £30,000.

Sadly, the act does not apply to debit card payments, which can only be claimed for through the chargeback scheme.